Stay on JK and keep Building or Stop and move to a JL?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I must admit, those AEV JLs got me wondering whether I should keep adding more $$ to my JK or start over with a Diesel JL in 1 or two years. My JK build has been one where I've learned what works and what doesn't over the years and $$ I've put on it. My most recent road map has put me at wanting to go to 3.5 inches. The eternal debate of going 35-37 has been raging but not a ton more beyond this and whether to get trailer for camping. My Jeep is 82K young and I'm sure I can go another 82K easy on the 3.6 although I won't lie that I've wondered about doing an LS swap to one of those 5.3 gen V with the 8 Speed to have a jeep that has pep for all the crap we bolt on plus some good mileage with the 8 speed. Those LS are said to be long lasting, etc which is what I would hope out of the Diesel/8 speed on a JL as well. I'm sure others in the forum are where I'm at, feeling the siren song of new and shinning vs their current and dependable, I just want to hear other people's thoughts.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
I think for most people it's cash flow. A lot of us want to move to the JL but just can't afford to or won't because of the money put into their JK haha. I say if you are comfortable budget wise for the JL, start over. I personally love my JK but it's my first to own jeep and holds some sentimental value. But those stingrays are mighty tempting!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jorgelrod

Hooked
I guess so as well. I'm chocking this all to SEMA overload from Eddie's Posts. Some of the stuff in there is just amazing.

Ddays

Hooked
I guess so as well. I'm chocking this all to SEMA overload from Eddie's Posts. Some of the stuff in there is just amazing.

I'd advise you to NOT drive a JL if you don't want to move up. They're that nice. That 8 speed is tits with the V6. It's as quiet and rides as nice as my Durango.

Consider this: Eddie basically sold friggin Rubicat (RIP) to make room for his new JL :crazyeyes:

J

JKDream

Consider this: Eddie basically sold friggin Rubicat (RIP) to make room for his new JL :crazyeyes:

Well, part of his business is to test/document new products, so I'm sure that played a big part in the decision to do so.
I probably won't upgrade personally, while the JL looks great, I haven't really found anything game changing about it that would make me rush out and spend ~50k all over again. We're also hovering around $6.00/g for gas here now, so I barely drive mine anymore as is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ddays

Hooked
Well, part of his business is to test/document new products, so I'm sure that played a big part in the decision to do so.
I probably won't upgrade personally, while the JL looks great, I haven't really found anything game changing about it that would make me rush out and spend ~50k all over again. We're also hovering around $6.00/g for gas here now, so I barely drive mine anymore as is.

True regarding the testing, but he sold Rubicat man!

I thought the same way about the JL as you do until I drove one.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
JL’s are nice. If I had a mild built JK and still was making payments I would probably go back to stock and trade it in. But I’m a little past that and it’s paid off so I’ll keep it and probably just buy a JL.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

74CJ5

Well, I might be crazy but I just traded in my ‘12 JKU Sport on an ‘18 JKU Rubicon. Mainly so I can transfer most of my aftermarket stuff over so I don’t have to start over again. Plus I got a great deal on the Rubi. I will still do a few things to it but not right away.

ssh6314

I almost bought a Sport JL over my JK Rubi, and the wife was pressing me hard to do it, but I couldn't pass on all the features of the Rubi and what I would have to dump in the JL just to get it to stock Rubi performance, and it made the decision for me.

But it was close, that 8 speed is SO nice, and the cockpit is a huge step up. next time ;)

fiend

Caught the Bug
I would rather take the $30k+ that I would lay out for a stock JL (after trading or selling my built JK) and put it into my JK. LS, axles, 40s, etc. Buying a new car is for fools with deep pockets.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
Or you could wait a bit longer for this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181101-055643.jpg
    Screenshot_20181101-055643.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 143

Bear_JT

Hooked
I’m on the same page as overlander, jesse, and fiend. Keep what you have if you’re already fairly in deep. Then you can either go deeper down the rabbit hole or get a JL. If your build isn’t that far along, then make the switch. New is always nice, but there is something to be said and to show for all the time and hard work that goes into a build.

El Toro

Being this is my first build, I have a ton to learn and will use whatever I can to resist the desire to jump into the newest model...of course watching Eddie's coverage of SEMA for the first time is not helping in the slightest (Good God it's like Christmas!!!!).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Red Knight15

Caught the Bug
My plan is to wait about 2 years before we get a JL.
My JKU will be our trail rig and a JLUR will be a daily driver/ overlander rig. Keep it stock [emoji51]
That’s what I’m going to tell the wife anyway

clos0791

JL’s are nice. If I had a mild built JK and still was making payments I would probably go back to stock and trade it in. But I’m a little past that and it’s paid off so I’ll keep it and probably just buy a JL.

Yes, same here. I dont see myself selling my JK. Especially after all the cash, sweat, and tears invested. I'm keeping it till I cannot drive anymore. I will buy a JL in the future, maybe.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom