Tires on Dana44???

Hey guys, just signed up and planning a build. I was told this was the corner of the internet to find for real Jeepers. I'm running a 3.8 2007 Rubi. I know, the engine... But i found her last year with only 28K on odo! I compromised for a Jeep i've always wanted. Now planning beef and want to get this as close to proper the first time to avoid ridiculous 💸. I heard y'all would know best. What tire size will the Dana44 handle? I do have the 6 speed manual and planning 5.13's. Also planning chromoly axles times 4? Necessary? I would like to do over a 35". Help me get this started right. Also liking the Metalcloak game changer tech (3.5")? Thoughts there?

JK-JOHN-E

Welcome. You’ll get good advice here. But it’s hard to tell if your post is serious or if you’re trolling. Which one are you looking for? Good solid advice or a bashing?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Welcome. You’ll get good advice here. But it’s hard to tell if your post is serious or if you’re trolling. Which one are you looking for? Good solid advice or a bashing?

Quite serious! I've wanted to do more aggressive trails all my life. Finally in a position in my life to start putting my crawler together. I would really appreciate the help. SO many options. I don't wanna find out later break after break i could've/ should've done something different.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
I've seen a few guys run 37s on a gussetted 44 with no issues. Honestly around here, you can go far on just 35s. Where in Colorado are you at and what trails are you thinking?

As far as the game changer lift, Chipotle is a game changer for your underwear as well. Game changer isn't always a good thing.

I've seen a few guys run 37s on a gussetted 44 with no issues. Honestly around here, you can go far on just 35s. Where in Colorado are you at and what trails are you thinking?

As far as the game changer lift, Chipotle is a game changer for your underwear as well. Game changer isn't always a good thing.

Well i was suggested to have tough skin here. Thanks for the proper introduction. I'm central in the state in the Pueblo area. I frequent the lower Arkansas valley. South Fork and Creede area. I would like to clear Como.

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Well i was suggested to have tough skin here. Thanks for the proper introduction. I'm central in the state in the Pueblo area. I frequent the lower Arkansas valley. South Fork and Creede area. I could like to clear Como.

Lol. Who told you about us and who told you to have tough skin?

Lol. Who told you about us and who told you to have tough skin?

Fella with the handle Zimm from Jeepforum.com. Said y'all were tits and i was in the wrong place for the info i was looking for. If i wanted to know what color grill inserts would look best to stay where i was. So... i came here. Really wanna do this right. Like yalls... she's my baby and quite a Wayalife. Been Jeepin since before i had a license. Mainly only have owned jeeps over my life and ready to do a build i've wanted to do since i can remember.

WJCO

Meme King
Fella with the handle Zimm from Jeepforum.com. Said y'all were tits and i was in the wrong place for the info i was looking for. If i wanted to know what color grill inserts would look best to stay where i was. So... i came here. Really wanna do this right. Like yalls... she's my baby and quite a Wayalife. Been Jeepin since before i had a license. Mainly only have owned jeeps over my life and ready to do a build i've wanted to do since i can remember.

Tits are good. Welcome. You honestly probably don't need more than 35s around here, but if you have the budget for 37s, why not. I would gusset the axle either way. Have you considered gears? If you spend any time heading up the mountain, gears can be really beneficial.

Tits are good. Welcome. You honestly probably don't need more than 35s around here, but if you have the budget for 37s, why not. I would gusset the axle either way. Have you considered gears? If you spend any time heading up the mountain, gears can be really beneficial.

Well for a person so witty with his first comment. I mentioned 5.13's. #GameChanger

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I ran 37’s and 5.13’s on gusseted 44’s without issue. I did chromoly shafts before breaking anything so I’d have trail spares. But since I own a Jeep I went to a PR44 front for more piece of mind. And now working on bigger axles. It’s never ending. I would not go to 5.38’s though but that’s just my opinion. And you know what they say about those....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jorgelrod

Hooked
Welcome, As WJCO aid, you'll find that a lot of people run up to 37's on stock axles but it all depends on how you beat on it. The general rule when recommendations go around here is that gears beyond 5.13 are too small and weak on a D44 so that is about as high(or low depending on how you look at it) as you want to go. It's true a lot of people come to this forum and get ragged on, but when you look at the posts, most of these were people that came with their minds made up on something looking for validation and when the people here told the reasons to opt for better or different hardware they went ballistic. It's a good group and some will rag on you but it is all in good fun.

Have you considered upgrading both axles to Dana 30s? Front and rear?

Guys stop! Literally looking for the great advice i was promised i would get by seasoned wheelers. I'm no tech. Most of this is foreign and really would like the help. I just learned about C gussets yesterday and didn't know a mod like that was doable to axle shafts. C'mon...

Top Bottom