JLU 3-4" Lift EVO/Currie Recommendations

MTrooper

Hi all,

New member here and looking for some advice on lift kits for our new JLU. A little bit of background on us/our plans for use on the new rig. We mostly ride firetrails close to home. We are lucky to live in the middle of Michigan from the standpoint that there are numerous national forest trails within minutes of our house. These mostly consist of rutted up trail systems, some mud, some sand, lots of snow here soon, some fallen trees, etc... We will likely also start going to offroad parks with a ton of different obstacles (Never been rock crawling) and we love the Drummand Island trail system in the UP. This will be a trail rig mostly, but will still be driven to almost all of our adventures. Maybe if we did some out West travels we would trailer, but even doing the Kentucky trails we would prefer to drive it there.

Let me know what you think about this setup:

• STT Pro 37x12.5x17
  • KMC 229 Machete Beadlocks
  • EVO 3.5" JL Stage 1 Enforcer Overland Kit
  • EVO Front Lower CA
  • Currie Rear Upper CA
  • Currie Front Trackbar
  • Falcon 3.3 Adj Shocks 2-4.5" Lift

We are looking for something that will give good flex, nice ride, and be reliable as can be. My wife likes to run the fireroads with some speed, so need something that can absorb the bumps. Also something that can be easily upgraded as our abilities and tastes change over time. (Also as factory items wear/break we will upgrade them as well) Is there any thing I'm missing here, or something that would be a better fit in the same or lower price range? Currently sitting @ $3550ish retail pricing (Lift only) on this setup.

I would appreciate any input/real world experience on this or another lift setup that may suit our needs better. :thumb:

Thanks,

Chris

deezus

I'm thinking this:

Rancho 3.5" springs
Currie arms all 8
RK front rear track bars or Currie
Long travel shocks

I love the ride of these Rancho springs.
The shocks are my only question....i want long travel and I like King but they are usually about $450 each and as of right now none of the shocks in Evo's kits has shock specs posted. Actually, Kings website doesn't have it either.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Jsouder53

Hooked
JLU 3-4" Lift EVO/Currie Recommendations

I would avoid falcon shocks and suggest depending on budget either rancho shocks(on the tighter budget) or king 2.5 shocks(on the larger budget). But seems like you have a good list going [emoji106]

I run the rancho 9000xl shocks, great amount of travel and adjustable. Eddie (WAYALIFE) runs the new rancho shocks that just came out for the JL and he said he loves them.

Last edited:

deezus

I would avoid falcon shocks and suggest depending on budget either rancho shocks(on the tighter budget) or king 2.5 shocks(on the larger budget). But seems like you have a good list going [emoji106]

I run the rancho 9000xl shocks, great amount of travel and adjustable. Eddie (WAYALIFE) runs the new rancho shocks that just came out for the JL and he said he loves them.
Well, he said be was gonna test them to see if they fade. I have 5000s on my JL and there good but I like performance and looks. I wanted to go LA and Coilover but not in the budget.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

MTrooper

Thanks for the comments. For those running the new Rancho springs how do you like them? I was looking at the EVOs since many seem to like the plush ride spring.

That being said I can definitely put together a more complete kit for less money if I went this route.

Rancho 3.5" lift w/ 9000XL shocks
Currie adj CAs (All 8)
RK front/rear track bars
RK rear track bar bracket

At some point down the road I would love to get the Kings, but I had hoped the Falcons would be a reasonable step up at 1/2 the cost. Too many other things on the want list currently and trying to keep costs down.

Tires and wheels are on there way and should be here Tuesday, so once those arrive I'll be itching to get them on.

Thanks,
Chris

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

deezus

Thanks for the comments. For those running the new Rancho springs how do you like them? I was looking at the EVOs since many seem to like the plush ride spring.

That being said I can definitely put together a more complete kit for less money if I went this route.

Rancho 3.5" lift w/ 9000XL shocks
Currie adj CAs (All 8)
RK front/rear track bars
RK rear track bar bracket

At some point down the road I would love to get the Kings, but I had hoped the Falcons would be a reasonable step up at 1/2 the cost. Too many other things on the want list currently and trying to keep costs down.

Tires and wheels are on there way and should be here Tuesday, so once those arrive I'll be itching to get them on.

Thanks,
Chris

This is my same route. I can only speak for myself and I've only used 2 types of springs, RKs progressive rates and now Ranchos progressive rates and as far as street ride on 37s the Ranchos are far superior. Off-road there the same. I've never tried Evos but most people who ran them on JKs said they rode very nice off road and on....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

deezus

I've heard their stickers are legit.
Haha.
I wouldn't know as I would never sticker my Jeep. Well unless Dynatrac 60s were involved[emoji6]
That being said, to say everything they make is garbage isn't accurate unless you have used everything they make.... That being said, I wouldn't buy those Falcon shocks, IMO, they look like crap. I don't know how they perform and I don't care. I used there hinged tire carrier version 2 on my JK and loved it.
Any of you guys thought of going Longarm? I really like how Evos shoves all the brackets up in the frame.

jesse3638

Hooked
Haha.
I wouldn't know as I would never sticker my Jeep. Well unless Dynatrac 60s were involved[emoji6]
That being said, to say everything they make is garbage isn't accurate unless you have used everything they make.... That being said, I wouldn't buy those Falcon shocks, IMO, they look like crap. I don't know how they perform and I don't care. I used there hinged tire carrier version 2 on my JK and loved it.
Any of you guys thought of going Longarm? I really like how Evos shoves all the brackets up in the frame.

I'd prefer to run shocks made by a shock manufacturer not a company who markets lifts. IE...King, Fox, Rancho, etc. There is a reason you don't see stand alone "EVO" shocks. King already did it and EVO just specs valving to fit the vehicle you want them on. Also Dynatrac uses specially valved Fox shocks. See the pattern here. Pair a quality lift with quality shocks. Teraflex is good at marketing and selling products.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

deezus

I'd prefer to run shocks made by a shock manufacturer not a company who markets lifts. IE...King, Fox, Rancho, etc. [/URL]

This!
Kings cost more but are fully rebuild able and made in USA.

Ddays

Hooked
So your saying everything Teraflex makes is garbage?

Garbage was you word of choice, but we can work with that. I've seen and heard enough of TF that I wouldn't spend my hard earned $ on them. Jesse hit it on the head with his comments as well. King, Fox, Rancho and more make good/great shocks. I don't need to take a chance on new and unproven products from a marketing company :twocents:

deezus

Garbage was you word of choice, but we can work with that. I've seen and heard enough of TF that I wouldn't spend my hard earned $ on them. Jesse hit it on the head with his comments as well. King, Fox, Rancho and more make good/great shocks. I don't need to take a chance on new and unproven products from a marketing company :twocents:
I'm in agreement on the shocks for sure but I know people who run there arms that like them and have no issues at all.
For me, I won't buy products that are obscure for my jeep....id rather spend a little more to get something proven like King for example when it comes to shocks.
But back to the thread....

Has anyone tried Curries arms? They are Jonny joints. Is it hard to set up lifts when you use springs from one company and arms from another?

Ddays

Hooked
I'm in agreement on the shocks for sure but I know people who run there arms that like them and have no issues at all.
For me, I won't buy products that are obscure for my jeep....id rather spend a little more to get something proven like King for example when it comes to shocks.
But back to the thread....

Has anyone tried Curries arms? They are Jonny joints. Is it hard to set up lifts when you use springs from one company and arms from another?

Currie arms are great. Teraflex arms are NOT!

And it's ok to use different companies springs/arms. Lots of people do. I'm running an EVO LA kit with Currie springs in the rear and my old Rock Krawler springs in the front, paired with the King 2.5 shocks.

Last edited:

MTrooper

I just watched Eddie's video review of the Rancho lift on a trail and I have to admit, those springs stuffed nicely. I might just have to give them a whirl. Worst case I buy some different springs and sell off the Ranchos. Although from the looks of it they'll be just fine as long as on road is ok.

Thanks,
Chris

deezus

I just watched Eddie's video review of the Rancho lift on a trail and I have to admit, those springs stuffed nicely. I might just have to give them a whirl. Worst case I buy some different springs and sell off the Ranchos. Although from the looks of it they'll be just fine as long as on road is ok.

Thanks,
Chris

You won't sell those Ranchos. [emoji6]

Top Bottom