Which one? Ram Hemi or Ford 5.0

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Not really for towing, but I need a relatively inexpensive stop gap vehicle, before I get a JL. I’m looking at two:

1) 2016 Ram Bighorn crew cab 5.7 4x4 with 64,000 miles.

2) 2014 Ford F-150 Super Crew XLT 4x4 with 86,000 miles

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bierpower

Hooked
My dad just got a hemi ram and loves it. The coil spings ride so much better than his f-250 did and it was almost $10k cheaper than a comparable Ford.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
My dad just got a hemi ram and loves it. The coil spings ride so much better than his f-250 did and it was almost $10k cheaper than a comparable Ford.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'd agree that the Dodge on coils rides better than a F250SD, but the F-150's are on coils. ;)
My '17 SD rides like it's rocking a Rubicon Express lift kit - like an empty goddam dumptruck. :icon_crazy: I would not
want one of these as a daily driver.

Having said that, it's still an easy pick: F150.

jesse3638

Hooked
I'd agree that the Dodge on coils rides better than a F250SD, but the F-150's are on coils. ;)
My '17 SD rides like it's rocking a Rubicon Express lift kit - like an empty goddam dumptruck. :icon_crazy: I would not

I can say the F-250 SD rides better that a RAM 3500. We just got a 3500 here at work. Feels like you need about 3500 lbs in the bed to make it ride comfortable.

Having the Hemi in my Durango is pretty nice. Its a 13 so its paired to the 6 speed and we can get 21-22mpg freeway. When I drive I can get 15-16 around town when my wife drives its get 12-13..haha. Lead foot Lisa I like to call her. I can imagine that would be better if it was the 8 speed.

Ddays

Hooked
I can say the F-250 SD rides better that a RAM 3500. We just got a 3500 here at work. Feels like you need about 3500 lbs in the bed to make it ride comfortable.

Having the Hemi in my Durango is pretty nice. Its a 13 so its paired to the 6 speed and we can get 21-22mpg freeway. When I drive I can get 15-16 around town when my wife drives its get 12-13..haha. Lead foot Lisa I like to call her. I can imagine that would be better if it was the 8 speed.

My brother in law bought a F450 with the aluminum flat bed to haul his 300' horse trailer. Talk about a rough ride - good grief! We went on a 2 hour trip with them empty and I think I ended up being 2" shorter when we were done. :crazyeyes: These HD trucks are great for hauling but for everyday driving they absolutely suck.

BaddestCross

I’m pretty sure it will get better mileage. It has the 8 speed transmission.

Probably. It's a solid setup. But, I'm a Dodge/MOPAR guy, so take that for what it's worth. 😎

I still apologize to the MOPAR gods everyday for buying a Ford work van... But I also remind them that Sprinters are ugly as fuck, plus Mercedes, so Ford won out at the time I was looking. 🤣

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

wjtstudios

Hooked
Totally off track of notnalc68’s original post, but The new ram 3500s on the air ride suspension ride perfectly fine for every day driving in great for hauling. They are remarkably smooth compared to the similar ford and Chevy.

Back to the original question, I’d go with the 16’ Ram.

wjtstudios

Hooked
My brother in law bought a F450 with the aluminum flat bed to haul his 300' horse trailer. Talk about a rough ride - good grief! We went on a 2 hour trip with them empty and I think I ended up being 2" shorter when we were done. :crazyeyes: These HD trucks are great for hauling but for everyday driving they absolutely suck.

Your brother in-law has a lot of horses[emoji23]

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was just going through this last month.... Been a Chevy guy my whole life... 1965 - C10, 1978' - C10, 1990 - 1500, 2001- 2500, 2005 - 2500 Dmax. Just got my first ever Ford F150 and I really like it a lot. If you don't need to tow, I would skip the Duramax.... great truck but if anything goes wrong with the engine or tranny it could get expensive. And definitely don't get a lifted one because the front end can't handle it. 5.0 and Hemi are solid motors so I think it just depends on which truck you like best. My business partner has a 13' - 5.0 and its a solid workhorse. I'm partial to the 15-18 body style on the F150 and was looking at 15' - 5.0's..... But I ended up with an 18' - 2.7 ecoboost hoping that the redesigned dual port injection in addition to the direct injection, solves the problem with deposits on the back of the valves... plus it's a good looking truck and fun to drive. :crazyeyes:

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

In the front they all have coils. Specific to this conversation though, the fords whether 1/2 or 3/4 ton ride on rear leaf springs whereas the dodges both ride on “four link” coils.

That gives the Rams slightly less towing and payload capacity across the board when compared to GM or Ford equals, but provides far better everyday ride handling and quality.

Ddays

Hooked
In the front they all have coils. Specific to this conversation though, the fords whether 1/2 or 3/4 ton ride on rear leaf springs whereas the dodges both ride on “four link” coils.

That gives the Rams slightly less towing and payload capacity across the board when compared to GM or Ford equals, but provides far better everyday ride handling and quality.

Yeah, I read his statement too quick. I'm not partial to the Dodge trucks but they do ride pretty damn nice. And few haul anywhere near capacity anyways so with what serves your daily needs.

JKbrick

The 16 Ram I had underneath was just like a jk except everything was 2x bigger, it rode great. My 19 GMC rides a little more firm but I prefer the GMC for some reason. I have no insight on an f150

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Okay. So the story. I’m a pharmacist, and you can damn near only get out of work by dying. If the wife thinks she has car trouble, she won’t quit until my 78 year old Dad drives 85 miles to check on her.

I was looking for a pickup in the $25k or less range (still buying a JL, but can’t swing it right now).

I drove the Ram tonight. It has a shit ton of power, it looks good, it’s comfortable, and will probably get better gas mileage than the Ford. It’s 2 years newer, and has almost 30k less miles. The Ram is sitting in my driveway, right now. The beater Camry is still around, so now I have 3 vehicles. Problem solved.

Thanks for the feedback.

Top Bottom