Re-gearing, Programmer, and Warranty Question all in one.

MericaMade

Getting ready to re-gear the Jeep and know I need a programmer to set the correct gear ratio on my 17. I like Trail Cal and the ability to manually lock the axles at my finger tips plus quicker access to other functions, but I cannot confirm if the Rubi sway bar disconnect option just hides the dash light or does it actually override the Rubicon sway bar and keep it disconnected?

Second question. If I have a warranty issue or just taking the jeep in to have the head unit flashed to allow for a backup camera after re gearing, or just need a update to the computer for any reason, will I have to set the Jeep back to stock settings? I assume the answer would be yes, but wants happens now that the Jeep is re-geared and not programmed correctly? How does that play out at the dealer?

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If I have a warranty issue or just taking the jeep in to have the head unit flashed to allow for a backup camera after re gearing, or just need a update to the computer for any reason, will I have to set the Jeep back to stock settings?
You will not be able to drive it, if you return the settings to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

I’m sure they could void your warranty on powertrain components, if they wanted too. A dealer did warranty work on my last one, after a regear. No questions asked.

Not too worried about warranty but more so how are they supposed to fix a issue if the jeep is in limp mode due to regear and setting everything back to stock?

Last edited:

DMF

I'm from SoCal too and never had an issue taking my Jeep to the local dealer for warranty work. I had issues with the engine and both times they repaired without questions. I also procal, regear and put in a locker. Obviously, If I had any issues with my differentials, I would not take it to the dealer. HOWEVER, my Jeep came lifted by the dealer and the brake lines were too short that I ended up getting ripped down. That same dealership wouldn't warranty their own work.

MericaMade

Okay good information to know about the dealer.

Now does anybody know about the sway bar disconnect override with the trail Cal?

jorgelrod

Hooked
You don't need to restore settings to take the jeep in, for the most part, dealers won't make a fuzz over regeared jeeps unless you are taking the jeep in for something that they won't be able to get approved for a waranty fix. Although there are shitty dealers out there, jeeps for the most part are vehicles that get modified a lot and the dealers are pretty used to it. that said. If you swap the engine let's say for an LS, leave your stock axle in the rear and break your carrier burning rubber down the line, I'm pretty sure they will deny your claim, but bringing in the jeep for a broken Joint or a leaking oil filter housing won't get denied just because you have regeared.

I use the AEV Procal. and it is my understanding that the swaybar function on the procal is to turn off the flashing light you get if you disconnect the swaybar because you put in a evo manual disconnect or something like that, not disable it where your swaybar never connects.

Last edited:

MericaMade

You don't need to restore settings to take the jeep in, for the most part, dealers won't make a fuzz over regeared jeeps unless you are taking the jeep in for something that they won't be able to get approved for a waranty fix. Although there are shitty dealers out there, jeeps for the most part are vehicles that get modified a lot and the dealers are pretty used to it. that said. If you swap the engine let's say for an LS, leave your stock axle in the rear and break your carrier burning rubber down the line, I'm pretty sure they will deny your claim, but bringing in the jeep for a broken Joint or a leaking oil filter housing won't get denied just because you have regeared.

I use the AEV Procal. and it is my understanding that the swaybar function on the procal is to turn off the flashing light you get if you disconnect the swaybar because you put in a evo manual disconnect or something like that, not disable it where your swaybar never connects.
Ahh alright that is nice to know. I will eventually put the EVO disconnect on. I like the FlashCal/TrailCal for display access and thought I read they can delete the sway discount light as well?

jesse3638

Hooked
Thread resurrection.

My brother in law has an 18JKU. He put a lift on it and is running 35’s. The shop didn’t do anything about calibrating the speedometer. Realistically he isn’t needing anything too fancy. My initial thought was a Procal. Isn’t too expensive and will get done what he needs to. Would that be the way to go or is there something more affordable and practical for his needs. Any help is much appreciated thanks.

J Ro

I would recommend the j-scan app ($17) and a Bluetooth adapter($25-$30). It saves a bunch of money and works pretty well. I just did this to my 2013 and worked great.

MericaMade

Thread resurrection.

My brother in law has an 18JKU. He put a lift on it and is running 35’s. The shop didn’t do anything about calibrating the speedometer. Realistically he isn’t needing anything too fancy. My initial thought was a Procal. Isn’t too expensive and will get done what he needs to. Would that be the way to go or is there something more affordable and practical for his needs. Any help is much appreciated thanks.

I would recommend the j-scan app ($17) and a Bluetooth adapter($25-$30). It saves a bunch of money and works pretty well. I just did this to my 2013 and worked great.

2nd this. 50 bucks and your done. Plus it's a code reader/presenter and a lot of other functions.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

If i didn't have the TraiCal this is the way I would go. ^^^

jesse3638

Hooked
Thanks for everyone’s feedback. I had forgot about this but also wasn’t too sure of the functionality of it. I was under the impression it was just more of a code reader/scanner than anything. I’ll pass this info along to him. Anyone have any recommendations for a good Bluetooth adapter to pair with the app?

J Ro

I’m using the vgate iCar pro 4.0 IMG_6149.jpg

As was said this does a lot of things and can change many settings. So far I just did TPMS and tire size but there is so much more on the app. Including a trail view that monitors some systems while off-road. For $50 you can’t go wrong in my opinion

jesse3638

Hooked
I’m using the vgate iCar pro 4.0 View attachment 333940

As was said this does a lot of things and can change many settings. So far I just did TPMS and tire size but there is so much more on the app. Including a trail view that monitors some systems while off-road. For $50 you can’t go wrong in my opinion

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the help. Were looking at it all now.

Top Bottom