Thread: Beadlock thread stripped

Beadlock thread stripped

Today the tires shop changed my tires...I came back home (200km) and I checked the bolt torque...I noticed that one of the thread has bene stripped...now what I have to do?

Is there a way to repair my wheel?
    A metallic insert?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Guascone View Post
    Today the tires shop changed my tires...I came back home (200km) and I checked the bolt torque...I noticed that one of the thread has bene stripped...now what I have to do?

A metallic insert?

Shop needs to do the legwork to find out how to repair it. I would take it back to them and show them what happened.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

A metallic insert?

Depending on the brand wheel you have, the inserts are replaceable relatively easy. It's a pain in the ass to be sure, but the process is easy.

Here's an old thread on the inserts for ATX Wheels: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...ame-out!!-Help!

You are fully right!
    Iím already in contact with the shop...they will pay for the repair but first of all I would understand if the wheel is repairable...if not I will ask for a new wheel...

A metallic insert?

Iím surprised you found a tire shop to work on beadlocks.

Beadlock thread stripped

Quote Originally Posted by SLO View Post
    Iím surprised you found a tire shop to work on beadlocks.

I am surprised Italy allows beadlocks.

The beadlock wheels are becoming quite common in Italy( there isnít a dedicated law that allow them or not) ...the tire shop is an official Bfgoodrich off road center...his owner is a jeeper and should now very well the job...I was hoping...

A metallic insert?

To answer your question, Iím sure that your wheel can be repaired. Whether that makes sense needs to be determined:

Cheaper wheels that do not have inserts can be fixed rather easily by adding a threaded insert. Helicoil repair kits are available for around $25 on Amazon and can be installed with low to medium skill level.

More expensive wheels can be a lot more difficult to repair. They already have threaded inserts and the damage is usually that the insert spun in the wheel so itís not as simple as just replacing the insert. In some cases a plug style insert can be used like from Jergens, but these inserts are larger than Helicoils and depending on the wheel it may not fit or have enough supporting metal around the plug. If that is the case then the wheel needs to be welded which starts getting a little sketch as the welding may distort the wheel and is more labor to prep and re-machine the hole. This is when it might be better to just get a new wheel.

Either way, good luck and I hope your repair works out!

Quote Originally Posted by sipafz View Post
    To answer your question, Iím sure that your wheel can be repaired. Whether that makes sense needs to be determined:

Cheaper wheels that do not have inserts can be fixed rather easily by adding a threaded insert. Helicoil repair kits are available for around $25 on Amazon and can be installed with low to medium skill level.

More expensive wheels can be a lot more difficult to repair. They already have threaded inserts and the damage is usually that the insert spun in the wheel so itís not as simple as just replacing the insert. In some cases a plug style insert can be used like from Jergens, but these inserts are larger than Helicoils and depending on the wheel it may not fit or have enough supporting metal around the plug. If that is the case then the wheel needs to be welded which starts getting a little sketch as the welding may distort the wheel and is more labor to prep and re-machine the hole. This is when it might be better to just get a new wheel.

Either way, good luck and I hope your repair works out!
    Thanks a lot for your very clear explanation!!!