E-brake question

thorndike

Good evening,
The e-brake on my 07 is very loose. I am going to pull the wheels this weekend and tighten them up. My question concerns the e-brake pads. I am assuming that the only time these pads are engaged is with the e-brake handle and not during normal breaking. If that is the case, do these pads wear much if at all? Should I order a set and just replace them or is that money that should be spent elsewhere?

Thanks.

thorndike

Good evening,
The e-brake on my 07 is very loose. I am going to pull the wheels this weekend and tighten them up. My question concerns the e-brake pads. I am assuming that the only time these pads are engaged is with the e-brake handle and not during normal breaking. If that is the case, do these pads wear much if at all? Should I order a set and just replace them or is that money that should be spent elsewhere?

Thanks.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Good evening,

Thanks.

When you pull your rear wheels, pull your calipers and discs off and check the shoes out. The e-brake should only engage when you pull the handle. If they haven’t ever been replaced since 07, they probably need to be. Off-roading gets all kinds of debris in the hub. They last a long time but yours are pretty old. Before you adjust them I would check them and clean out the hub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WJCO

Meme King
Jack up the rear axle with the ebrake handle engaged and vehicle in neutral (make sure and chock the front tires). Then try turning each rear wheel by hand, they shouldn't turn at all. If one does, your issue lies within that wheel, if they both turn, it's probably a cable issue outside of the wheel end. Also, there could just be rust somewhere that has seized the parts up.

If you do end up replacing the shoes, do one side at a time so you can look at the other side to remember where the springs go, it can save you a hassle.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
The e brake shoes should not have much wear unless you are like my wife and like to drive around with the e brake on [emoji849]. Whenever I have adjusted mine I set them a bit over tight and allow them to wear in from the friction of the drum. When I say a bit I mean a bit, don't crank them to the point you are using a hammer to re install the rotor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom