Maintenance

Gbint

Well I’m about to change all the drivetrain oils once again on my 6 speed jk. Was looking for opinions on best synthetic oil types for diffs tcase and transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
It doesn't matter, whatever's on sale. I usually find valvoline on sale at walmart.

MDK210

All big name brands have come along way so probably can't go wrong with either. I usually go with OE or Mobil1 for cars and motorcycles.

rogerk93

For the transmission/transfer case I used oe fluid went right to the dealer to pick it up, for my diff I use amsoil and for my motor I use Mobil 1 synthetic

GreggNY

I use Mobil 1 synthetic for the motor, royal purple for the diffs, and amsoil for the tranny. It would probably run the same with whatever you can find but it’s one less thing to worry about having quality fluids in it. Just my .02

bmkrinne

Not familiar with Redline and the amount of gear lube in it. We’re talking apples to oranges here, but I had a manual tranny car that was shifting slightly rough and had success by switching to a high mileage tranny fluid. They have a slightly higher gear lube content and additional additives that really smooth out the manual tranny. Mine shifted like butter afterwards. Not saying this is your problem but something to think of.

MericaMade

Me personally I wouldn't put Royal Purple in anything unless its in the garbage. I have read so many issues from it on other forms both Jeeps and non jeep related. From what the Amsoil rep told me their product can mix with just about any oil if needed in a emergency. What I don't like about Amsoil is you can't just run down to Walmart or Autozone and pick it up if a emergency pops up.

wjtstudios

Hooked
If you go on Amsoils website, there’s a $25 dollar club you can join for a year and you get free shipping and it arrives fast. Typically the next day or the following at the latest for me, but I’m in a more urban area. I keep a full set of fluids in my garage, because you can’t just run out and pick it up, and just replenish the stock as I use it. On the trail I carry enough to a full diff fluid swap, 3 quarts if engine oil, trans fluid, and a small brake fluid. Short of swepco for the power steering, I run Amsoil in everything else.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Another vote for OEM (mopar) in the Transfer case and Manual transmission... I run whatever is the cheapest in the diffs 75/80w90 (front) & 75/80w140 (rear) .

Top Bottom