Transmission Warranty Work??

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Has anyone had transmission warranty work done to their lifted jk? Now that I’ve lifted my ‘15 jkur I’m starting to have some tranny issues. I’m worried if I take it in for warranty work it will be denied. Opinions please!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Recently went thru this in the last two weeks and had two vastly different experiences. First time was warrantied. Both front axle seals and they even replaced draglink / tie rod. Draglink was flipped and less than two weeks old.

Les than 5 days later brought it to a different dealer (for several reasons) and the work was not warrantied. Rear diff had to be rebuilt.

I contacted FCA to find out what the deal was and how I’d ever know. Tough to bring it in and then once it’s diagnosed and half apart to decide not to proceed. They were just as confused as I was. To be honest I wasn’t even expecting the first round of work to be covered but after it was I had a false sense of security. They asked if it was clear it was modified and I said absolutely they even charged extra at the first dealer for the alignment because of it.

I’d say hope for the best, expect the worst. I’ll admit the axle is still ‘factory’ (nothing connected to it is tho) while the driveshafts are not so probably easy in their eyes to deny the differential rebuild.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Recently went thru this in the last two weeks and had two vastly different experiences. First time was warrantied. Both front axle seals and they even replaced draglink / tie rod. Draglink was flipped and less than two weeks old.

Les than 5 days later brought it to a different dealer (for several reasons) and the work was not warrantied. Rear diff had to be rebuilt.

I contacted FCA to find out what the deal was and how I’d ever know. Tough to bring it in and then once it’s diagnosed and half apart to decide not to proceed. They were just as confused as I was. To be honest I wasn’t even expecting the first round of work to be covered but after it was I had a false sense of security. They asked if it was clear it was modified and I said absolutely they even charged extra at the first dealer for the alignment because of it.

I’d say hope for the best, expect the worst. I’ll admit the axle is still ‘factory’ (nothing connected to it is tho) while the driveshafts are not so probably easy in their eyes to deny the differential rebuild.

I’m looking for transmission knowledge specifically. It’s getting worse each day.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Have you checked the fluid level?

One thing you can be sure of is that the dealer will not cover the work under warranty if you do not bring it in.

J

JKDream

At running temp it will start off in 3rd gear and never make it to 5th gear. I’ll put it in reverse and it takes about 20 sec until it engages.

37’s and yes, stock 4:10 gears right now.

I’m surprised no one has had a similar problem that I’m having.

Sorry for the late reply, busy couple of days. My opinion is that your gearing is to blame here.
When I had stock gears + 37s the transmission was starting out in 2nd or 3rd, and would never get into 5th gear.
The 20 seconds into reverse doesn't sound normal, is it actually that long? Mine takes maybe 3-5 seconds, and is a somewhat hard shift.
Have you used a programmer to enter the new tire size?

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Have you checked the fluid level?

One thing you can be sure of is that the dealer will not cover the work under warranty if you do not bring it in.

Sorry for the late reply, busy couple of days. My opinion is that your gearing is to blame here.
When I had stock gears + 37s the transmission was starting out in 2nd or 3rd, and would never get into 5th gear.
The 20 seconds into reverse doesn't sound normal, is it actually that long? Mine takes maybe 3-5 seconds, and is a somewhat hard shift.
Have you used a programmer to enter the new tire size?

Fluid level checked and is good. Fluid is red in color and looks good.
About a week after I lifted it I used a AEV pro cal to reset the tire size and tpms. About a week after that is when the issues started.
I took it to my local mechanic and he plugged it into his computer. Came out saying problem with 1st gear ratio. He seemed to think it’s a problem with the TCM or PCM. He said I should have it reflashed which only a dealership can do. Is that true? Anyway, it’s still a work in progress. I’m trying to avoid taking it to a dealer but it might come to that.

WJCO

Meme King
Fluid level checked and is good. Fluid is red in color and looks good.
About a week after I lifted it I used a AEV pro cal to reset the tire size and tpms. About a week after that is when the issues started.
I took it to my local mechanic and he plugged it into his computer. Came out saying problem with 1st gear ratio. He seemed to think it’s a problem with the TCM or PCM. He said I should have it reflashed which only a dealership can do. Is that true? Anyway, it’s still a work in progress. I’m trying to avoid taking it to a dealer but it might come to that.

Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect. Just to see if it may be a limp mode issue.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug

mattb19

I had the same issue when I went to 40" tires and 1ton axles. I used my AEV procal as well and it just kept messing with the shifting. After programming and unprogramming multiple times it finally took. I did have to do multiple battery resets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I had the same issue when I went to 40" tires and 1ton axles. I used my AEV procal as well and it just kept messing with the shifting. After programming and unprogramming multiple times it finally took. I did have to do multiple battery resets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. How long did you disconnect your battery for?

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
So I fixed my issue for the time being. I found that the AEV procal has a restore setting. Weird that AEV doesn’t show this setting in their directions. Anyway, plugged in the procal with the restore setting and I guess it set the TCM back to factory. It’s back to its factory shift points. Not perfect but at least it’s shifting through all its gears. I have an appointment with Globex, so I’ll leave the programming to the professionals.

Top Bottom