Install only 1 chromoly front axle

Jkarol

Hello everyone,
I'm looking to make my dana30 more reliable and here is what I'm struggling with :
I want to install a spartan locker, and If I install only 1 chromoly front axle shaft (the longest one) and keep the other stock, I will improve the chance that the weak link will be the stock axle shaft, so it would be a quick fix with only 1 spare part needed (and not expensive!)?
What do you think of that plan? Is there something I'm missing? I know it's not 100% the scenario that will happen (when the locker is not engaged) but it will improve my chance of breaking something I can fix on the trail???

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to make my dana30 more reliable

In my opinion, a Dana 30 and the words "more reliable" is an oxymoron.

I want to install a spartan locker, and If I install only 1 chromoly front axle shaft (the longest one) and keep the other stock, I will improve the chance that the weak link will be the stock axle shaft, so it would be a quick fix with only 1 spare part needed (and not expensive!)?
What do you think of that plan? Is there something I'm missing? I know it's not 100% the scenario that will happen (when the locker is not engaged) but it will improve my chance of breaking something I can fix on the trail???

If you install a locker and really play with your Jeep in places that would require it, you WILL break something. More than likely, you'll break a u-joint and on the driver side regardless if you run a chromoly shaft on the passenger side.

I'm sure it's just me but I am not a fan of trying to build in a weak point on a Jeep. In my opinion, it's always better to build within the means of your Jeep's capabilities and try NOT to break anything. But then, that's just me.

BTW, welcome to WAYALIFE. Nice to see you finally post up after being on here for over 2 years.

WJCO

Meme King
Hello everyone,
I'm looking to make my dana30 more reliable ...............I want to install a spartan locker......If I install only 1 chromoly front axle shaft (the longest one) and keep the other stock.........What do you think of that plan? ........ Is there something I'm missing?........... but it will improve my chance of breaking something I can fix on the trail???

image.jpg ..................

I literally gave my D30 away when I did my axle swap because nobody will spend money on fixing or upgrading one. I offered mine up as a donor to help someone in a pinch. In other words, don’t throw money away on a D30 especially by creating a weak link... the entire assembly IS the weak link. Save up for a Rubi44 or an upgraded assembly like the trail leader package from Dynatrac. In the mean time if you’re worried about breaking something, find someone who is getting rid of theirs and snag their shafts and keep them as spares. Pack an extra set of U-joints and be done with it.

Also... Welcome to WAYALIFE. Lots of good folks here and lots of fun to be had, you should stop by the wave section and introduce yourself.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
You’re not gonna want to hear it. I didn’t when I was in your position but the fact is any upgrade to the D30 is a waste of time and money. Like others have said (depending on what you plan on doing with it) a take off Rubi 44 could be a good option for you. Keep in mind the rubi 44 does still have its weaknesses so be cautious if you plan on running larger than 35s or playing too rough with it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
One of my wheeling buddies didn't listen either and trussed, sleeved, gusseted, and 4.88 geared his D30. No locker, so it "wouldn't break". 1/2 mile into Pritchett canyon in Moab the spiders explode. Not only did he have to rebuild a front pumpkin with new gears and carrier in the dirt campground parking lot, he lost 2 days of wheeling on a week long trip.

He ordered a Pro-Rock D44 that day from his camp chair.

longarmwj

Oh my WJ I had RCVs, locker, gussets, etc. guess what. Money wasted that could have gone to the HP44 that is now under it. Don’t waste money on a 30.

Paying money to beef up a D30 is like paying money to get penis enlargement surgery. Sure it’s beefier and more impressive, but you’ll still get far more use and pleasure out of one naturally bigger.

Coop

Caught the Bug
Lots of wisdom here! Many of us, including me, have made the mistake of spending money on the D30 because we just couldn’t believe all the stories of how breakable the D30 is! Guess what? The stories were right. Eddie’s suggestion of building not to break based on your wheeling intention is truly the best wisdom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JJ151

I would echo many of the comments said previously. I put an air locker in my d30 and ran it for a long time. Eventually the carrier grenaded and I upgraded to at PR60. Been running that for over 10 years with no problem.

MericaMade

Oh my WJ I had RCVs, locker, gussets, etc. guess what. Money wasted that could have gone to the HP44 that is now under it. Don’t waste money on a 30.

Paying money to beef up a D30 is like paying money to get penis enlargement surgery. Sure it’s beefier and more impressive, but you’ll still get far more use and pleasure out of one naturally bigger.

LMFAO... Priceless!

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Getting a single chromoly D30 shaft for protection is like only getting a vasectomy on one nut. In either case, there is no way you can control which side busts.

Last edited:

Honor2afault

Caught the Bug

Lmfao, now that's one hell of an analogy. 👍🤣

Jkarol

Thanks all of us for the precious information...SInce I started wheeling more heavily this summer, I'm pretty sure I won't take a chance for next season and upgrade the axle!
I'll go introduce myself later today on the forum!
Thanks!

Top Bottom