KMC XD228 Machete Desert

SLO

Anyone running the Machete Desert beadlocks? I can’t find a lot of info on them so I’m left with some questions. Do they have 2 holes for dual valve stems like the XD229 Crawl? Would the rock ring from the XD229 with the drain holes work on the XD228? It looks like Mel Wade had the XD228’s on his JK (the gold anodized wheels) but they had the XD229 Crawl rock ring. Wondering if that was a custom setup from KMC.

boardsurfer

The ring for the slabs/chamber pros and machetes are inter-changable. I would imagine the desert wheels are compatible as well. I don't know this for fact, but I would wager they all swap freely.

Edit: I just looked them up and I think I'm wrong. Looks like they have a lot more bolts than the Crawl version.

Last edited:

SLO

The ring for the slabs/chamber pros and machetes are inter-changable. I would imagine the desert wheels are compatible as well. I don't know this for fact, but I would wager they all swap freely.

Edit: I just looked them up and I think I'm wrong. Looks like they have a lot more bolts than the Crawl version.

Actually, both the XD228 and XD229 are 24-bolts. I just re-counted.

I think I’m actually going to have these guys make me custom rings with drain holes. https://www.omfperformance.com/beadlocked_wheels.php
I like the wider ring like the Slabs, Chamber Pros and even the Trail Ready World Series Ring...plus it would be cool to have something done that is a one-off.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked

They all will swap freely, but if you have Slabs/Chamber Pros, you won't benefit from the Machete rings having drain holes. I thought that you would but if you look at the machete wheel, it has notches in-between the bosses for the bolts that allow drainage. On the others the wheel has a continuous lip where all of the bolt holes are. They're still gonna hold water. I looked into it but found that out and that the damn rings were $100 ea! :crazyeyes:

SLO

They all will swap freely, but if you have Slabs/Chamber Pros, you won't benefit from the Machete rings having drain holes. I thought that you would but if you look at the machete wheel, it has notches in-between the bosses for the bolts that allow drainage. On the others the wheel has a continuous lip where all of the bolt holes are. They're still gonna hold water. I looked into it but found that out and that the damn rings were $100 ea! :crazyeyes:

Good info, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom