44 or 60

I'm sure this is addressed in a post somewhere and I'm the idiot that can find it. So if it is direct me that way please.

When is an upgrade from a 44 to a 60 much needed? I run 37's on my factory dana 44s. I have Artec truss front and rear...have the Artec C gussets and upgraded axle shafts. I've heard I need to do upgrade to 60s and I've heard as long as I don't go above 37s I have no reason to. It is my daily and because of work and family I typically only get to wheel 3-5 times a year. There is plenty of other things I could use that money for but is it something I need to do?

Thoughts???:thinking:

fiend

Caught the Bug
Upgrade to 60s when you have (a) decided to move to 40s; (b) bent or broken a 44 rear housing; and/or (c) have broken a 44 ring and pinion more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Torrin

Thanks, allows me to save some money and spend it for other upgrades.

That's the spirit! I just put Danatrac 44 on my front and upgraded the rear to 35 spline, it will run 27's all day without issue. I have no desire to go to 40's, so the 44 is better and lighter for my application.

I'm sure this is addressed in a post somewhere and I'm the idiot that can find it. So if it is direct me that way please.

When is an upgrade from a 44 to a 60 much needed? I run 37's on my factory dana 44s. I have Artec truss front and rear...have the Artec C gussets and upgraded axle shafts. I've heard I need to do upgrade to 60s and I've heard as long as I don't go above 37s I have no reason to. It is my daily and because of work and family I typically only get to wheel 3-5 times a year. There is plenty of other things I could use that money for but is it something I need to do?

Thoughts???:thinking:

This is practically my exact same setup. Glad to hear I’ve done things right thus far. [emoji1360]

zimm

Caught the Bug
That's the spirit! I just put Danatrac 44 on my front and upgraded the rear to 35 spline, it will run 27's all day without issue. I have no desire to go to 40's, so the 44 is better and lighter for my application.

More ground clearance too.

Ddays

Hooked
It's really easy to get caught up in the upgrade overload. I'm in a similar situation where I'm arguing with myself over the need for coilovers. I think it comes down to a need vs want deal.
I really want coilovers, but I haven't convinced myself that I need them. Yet. I would hold off until you break or bend an axle before I'd go the upgrade route.

A.J.

It's really easy to get caught up in the upgrade overload. I'm in a similar situation where I'm arguing with myself over the need for coilovers. I think it comes down to a need vs want deal.
I really want coilovers, but I haven't convinced myself that I need them. Yet. I would hold off until you break or bend an axle before I'd go the upgrade route.

For real! Upgrade overload. So far I've done everything wrong but I'm still wheeling almost every weekend and having a blast. You don't have to have a $100k build to have fun. It would be nice though! I think it was Zimm that suggested once instead of upgrading x amount of $ just use the money for gas and a hotel and go to Moab or Rubicon or whatever trail you've been dreaming of. Sound advice!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug

Agreed. I have yet to be convinced that bolt on coil overs are the way to go. They look cool, sure, but the increased maintenance and required fussing with spring rates and pressure, etc., are a turn off. I have several friends that run them, and I’ve heard effusive praise from none of them. One or two guys regret the switch.

Ddays

Hooked
Agreed. I have yet to be convinced that bolt on coil overs are the way to go. They look cool, sure, but the increased maintenance and required fussing with spring rates and pressure, etc., are a turn off. I have several friends that run them, and I’ve heard effusive praise from none of them. One or two guys regret the switch.

Yup. Hinrich's swapped his CO's for an Enforcer lift. We wheeled last Spring after he installed it at Rausch and he said it rode just as good as the CO's did. Quieter on the road as well.

If I had access to the awesome trail system you lucky dawgs have out west, maybe I would feel differently, but I've never been somewhere that the CO's would allow me complete an obstacle or course that my springs wouldn't. :idontknow:

Edit: Yet

thanks for all the feed back. I was on the verge of making the jump and am glad I've got the feed back not to....that money goes a good way towards my eventual LS3 swap I dream of. I'll get a vet motor with my Jeep....like havign my cake and eating it too.:clap2:

fiend

Caught the Bug
thanks for all the feed back. I was on the verge of making the jump and am glad I've got the feed back not to....that money goes a good way towards my eventual LS3 swap I dream of. I'll get a vet motor with my Jeep....like havign my cake and eating it too.:clap2:

Well then I’d better revise my post:

Upgrade to 60s when you have (a) decided to move to 40s; (b) bent or broken a 44 rear housing; (c) have broken a 44 ring and pinion more than once; and/or (d) you put ‘vette motor in your Jeep.

that gives me the time I need......motor is sadly a ways off. I want to pay out right...no loans. Lots of extra jobs have to be worked first lol

Top Bottom