WTF - Washed the Paint Off the JL Wrangler Grill

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
WTF!! I finally got a chance to wash our JL Wrangler after getting back from the 2018 JL-Experience and SEMA before that and somehow, my pressure washer washed a piece of paint right off the grill. Check it out...

20181115124529-90eaf343-me.jpg

I should note, I have been using my Subaru pressure washer for years to wash all my Jeeps and of the 3 tips that came with it, I always use the one with the least amount of pressure. It's been prefect for cleaning up bugs and mud and I've never seen anything like this happen before. Needless to say, be careful when washing your JL Wrangler as you literally can wash the paint right off of it. :rolleyes2:

Jsouder53

Hooked
That’s crazy!!! I’ve done that once and it was on the hood of my old truck... OLD so it has several chips already

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s crazy!!! I’ve done that once and it was on the hood of my old truck... OLD so it has several chips already

Yeah, if this were an old Jeep with a metal grill and full of chips, that'd be one thing. Actually, I've got a bunch and I've still not had this problem. Moby's got almost 200,000 miles on him and I've never seen this problem with his grill. Crazy.

Oh man that sucks. At least the grill is plastic and won’t rust.

Jeep must be using the same incompetent painter as Chevy.

Yeah, at least it's plastic. I'll touch it up but I am still kind of bummed about the quality of the paint.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks! I wonder if maybe a rock chip made a weak spot that the pressure washer just lifted when it sprayed. Good thing it’s under warranty.

I have no doubts that it was something like that but Moby's got tons of chips or worse and I've never seen anything like this happen to his grill.

Bear_JT

Hooked
I have no doubts that it was something like that but Moby's got tons of chips or worse and I've never seen anything like this happen to his grill.

I know in the mid 90’s Chevy had some issues with baking their paint too long or something that caused this exact type of issue. Maybe something like that happened.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I know in the mid 90’s Chevy had some issues with baking their paint too long or something that caused this exact type of issue. Maybe something like that happened.

I could see that or something like it. We do have one of the very first JL Wranglers and I know FCA had problems with paint issues on them. Most of the complaints were in regards to yellowing and that could have been a primer issue.

They probably didn't use primer to save weight and help meet MPG requirements. 😎

LOL!! It wouldn't surprise me.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Wow that's kinda crazy. I wouldn't have expected that to happen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that's kinda crazy. I wouldn't have expected that to happen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Neither would I. One minute my JL is getting clean and the next, a BIG black spot appeared on the grill. Surprised the hell out of me.

WJCO

Meme King
Wow. That sucks. This same thing happened on our Honda Odyssey we used to have. It had been re-painted poorly (overspray everywhere) at some point and the paint came off just like that with a pressure washer.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
WTF!! I finally got a chance to wash our JL Wrangler after getting back from the 2018 JL-Experience and SEMA before that and somehow, my pressure washer washed a piece of paint right off the grill. Check it out...

20181115124529-90eaf343-me.jpg

I should note, I have been using my Subaru pressure washer for years to wash all my Jeeps and of the 3 tips that came with it, I always use the one with the least amount of pressure. It's been prefect for cleaning up bugs and mud and I've never seen anything like this happen before. Needless to say, be careful when washing your JL Wrangler as you literally can wash the paint right off of it. :rolleyes2:

Time for the chrome grill upgrade you have been waiting for !

TrailHunter

Hooked
That happened to me on my GMC but the paint was 12 years old... I was at a self car wash... There was a chip in the paint, and the sprayer blew a 3” square off... I was so bummed.... You would think the newer paints would be better, but It seems like they are thinner and weaker... probably has to do with EPA bullshit.

Maybe he's trying to tell you something. I bet he would look great with a blacked out grill. You could think about dipping it or get out the rattle can, at least you wouldn't be afraid to wash it.

Top Bottom