A comparison for coilovers vs rear cantilever from those that know.

black pearl

Hooked
So as I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on some big mods. I would like some input.
I'm up in the air if I want the cantilever or just do coilovers.
I know it would be awesome to have the lever setup, I'm just not sure I NEED to have it.

Thoughts and opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The EVO Lever that comes with the DTD will give you bigger flex AND will do a better job of soaking up the bumps if you do a lot of fast driving in the desert. If all you do is play on rocks, the bolt on coil overs will get the job done and save you some money.

black pearl

Hooked
The EVO Lever that comes with the DTD will give you bigger flex AND will do a better job of soaking up the bumps if you do a lot of fast driving in the desert. If all you do is play on rocks, the bolt on coil overs will get the job done and save you some money.

I'm mostly in the rocks, but I do try to get out in the desert at least once a year.
I also know the lever is quite the install project. Not sure how long it would take me to install in short after work days and weekends.

bhaner

The evolever itself wasn't a bad install. The long arms and front DTD were way more time consuming.

20181112_144443.jpg

A.J.

I don’t have it but I have been pondering this same question. Probably get some backlash over it but in my opinion the bolt on’s vs a well set up 4” spring/shocks are pretty close. The EVO lever is a big step up. I wish I had the video for you because I saw the difference in all three on my Rubicon trip last summer. On an obstacle I know you are familiar with. Soup bowl. Astroman just drove up and over it with the lever. Same line several of us took, but the travel on the rear with the lever was all the difference. No one got video because he just drove over it. It just stuck with me how much better it really is. If you can afford it skip the coil overs and do it. If not and you really want it keep your current set up and save for it. Just my opinion. FWIW

black pearl

Hooked
I don’t have it but I have been pondering this same question. Probably get some backlash over it but in my opinion the bolt on’s vs a well set up 4” spring/shocks are pretty close. The EVO lever is a big step up. I wish I had the video for you because I saw the difference in all three on my Rubicon trip last summer. On an obstacle I know you are familiar with. Soup bowl. Astroman just drove up and over it with the lever. Same line several of us took, but the travel on the rear with the lever was all the difference. No one got video because he just drove over it. It just stuck with me how much better it really is. If you can afford it skip the coil overs and do it. If not and you really want it keep your current set up and save for it. Just my opinion. FWIW

This goes well with what Eddie was saying, with lever having bigger flex. I've been leaning that way the whole time, i just haven't ever seen it in person. But I also only want to do this stage of the build once, and it is in the budget.

fiend

Caught the Bug

I think the 40s also helped Jim get up Soup Bowl. [emoji16]

RSQCON

So as I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger on some big mods. I would like some input.
I'm up in the air if I want the cantilever or just do coilovers.
I know it would be awesome to have the lever setup, I'm just not sure I NEED to have it.

Thoughts and opinions?
If I could start over I would have just done the Gen Right Elite kit.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure how I feel about that kit. I wouldn't want to move the fuel tank.

Neither would I. And, that's why I ran a DTD on Rubicat as well. If EVO had a DTD for the JL, I'd be running one on ours now. It's pricey, it's a lot of work to get installed but really, it's the best setup I've seen to date and personally run.

black pearl

Hooked
Neither would I. And, that's why I ran a DTD on Rubicat as well. If EVO had a DTD for the JL, I'd be running one on ours now. It's pricey, it's a lot of work to get installed but really, it's the best setup I've seen to date and personally run.

The DTD is the main one I've been looking at. Well really the only one. And from the comments IS superior to just coilovers. From not seeing the lever in person I just wasn't fully sure.

RSQCON

Not sure how I feel about that kit. I wouldn't want to move the fuel tank.
This seems to be a sticky point for some but I have no problem moving the tank. While it puts more leverage behind the axle at least it's centered side to side. Did I mention that GenRights kit includes an access panel to get to the fuel pump which makes servicing it much easier if the need ever arises.
Why do you say that?
14" of wheel travel up front and 16" in the rear. Front 3 link binds less up front and rear is double triangulated which is ideal. I've been wheeling my Evo bolt on long arm kit for a while now and it gets the job done but has some serious limitations that I've found.
His reasoning is probably like in Joe Dirt "It just does"

Got to love opinions with no reason to back it up.
Well I just gave a few but let me give you some more reasons I feel it is a better setup that what Evo offers. You gain close to 3" of clearance going with their crossmembers and using their flat belly skid plate setup. Right now I carry a Rotopax on my tailgate for additional fuel and I could ditch that in favor of their larger fuel cell (up to 40 gal). Can run up to a 3" coil over.

WJCO

Meme King
I'm far from being anywhere close to an "elite" enough jeeper to run the genright elite kit, but I will say this, my WJ has the fuel tank in the same location as the genright relocation kit and it sucks major elephant balls IMO. Worst location for a fuel tank IMO. Out of all of my undercarriage carnage (still talking about the Jeep) the gas tank skid in this location has taken the most hits.

Top Bottom