Project Felicity: 06 TJ Wrangler RHD V2403 Kubota Diesel Swap

disjaukifa

Hey Guys,

So first off here is a picture of my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Right Hand Drive that I call Felicity:

View attachment 314538

My TJ is pretty much bone stock, has just over 200K, 4.0L, 42RLE auto with a NP231-J transfer case. Has factory air conditioning that works, power steering, and cruise control which I added after I bought the Wrangler. Currently has a Dana 44 in the rear with a factory LSD on Goodyear Wrangler 235/75r15 tires which are great year round and dirt cheap.

I bought the Wrangler last summer, it was my first Wrangler and I love it, except for gas mileage. My daily driver is a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2.8l turbo diesel, which gets fantastic mileage and has a ton of torque. The Wrangler gets around 13 ~ 17 mpg, my Liberty gets just above 30mph highway, consistently 28 ~ 30mpg.

The transmission I will be using is an AW4 out of a Cherokee. I'm going with the AW4 for multiple reasons. First I injured my left knee a few years ago, and while I love manual transmissions, an automatic makes off-roading so much more fun for me personally. Also has the added benefit that my kids prefer it as well, so they go on more wheeling adventures when we are in my automatic Wrangler. Second I can just manual shift the AW4 by controlling two solenoids. Third I don't have to get an adapter from my NP231-J transfer case which is a huge cost savings as well. Really the main issue is there is no aftermarket transmission controller for the 42RLE transmission that is currently in my TJ, plus it has over 200K on it. I'm going to be controlling the AW4 automatic transmission with an Microsquirt setup so that it can shift the AW4 automatically, but at the beginning it will just be a manual shift.

For transfer case I'll be using a rebuilt NP231-J that already has a SYE installed.

The Kubota V2403 Diesel engine should be perfect for this swap. I will have the horsepower of the 2.5L and way more torque than the 4.0! Looking to upgrade the turbo and add an intercooler to help charge the charged air.

Right now I have 3.73 gears, which I'm going to leave alone until after I get the TJ running and see how it does. I might be doing a gear swap to 3.55s later on, not sure yet. My goal for my mileage will be 30 ~ 34mpg, effectively doubling my current MPG. However I'm really hoping to tune the turbo and fuel pump to get my closer to the 40mpg mark but really anything over 30mpg is going to be a win.

Let me know what you think! I'm currently in the phase of getting all the parts I need, which has already been more than I was initially thinking. I will be posing updates each day I get new parts in or when I start getting the Wrangler torn done for the swap!

Thanks

Last edited:
If you would’ve posted “hey check out this cool swap I’m doing” Instead of hey look at all the stuff you can buy from Kenny, this would have gone much better for you.

Paging overlander.....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

I just removed what I believe are all the rule violations from the thread. I'm sorry.

Well, you got off on the wrong foot, but have come back with an apology.

That's the first step in the right direction.

There is hope.

This is a great site, but certain things rub people the wrong way. Come back, try again with a proper introduction, and see how it goes.

Some who started off wrong got right, sadly most go off and blame everyone else and storm off mad.

Here's hoping you are on the right track.

disjaukifa

Well, you got off on the wrong foot, but have come back with an apology.

That's the first step in the right direction.

There is hope.

This is a great site, but certain things rub people the wrong way. Come back, try again with a proper introduction, and see how it goes.

Some who started off wrong got right, sadly most go off and blame everyone else and storm off mad.

Here's hoping you are on the right track.

Thank you. I also didn't post in the "Give us a Wave" first so I went and posted a quick hello thread there as well. Again I assumed I knew the rules, I didn't, this thread got moved, I get it. I removed the violations and will be more mindful of all my posts moving forward.

Thank you

Top Bottom