DeWalt 1/2" Impact

SLO

First, I am not a DeWalt fanboy but I do have enough invested in batteries and chargers that I don't want to re-invest in Milwaukee or another brand. So, this is specific to DeWalt options. They essentially have two 1/2" Impact Drivers. The DCF894 and DCF899. I'd prefer to have the more compact DCF894 but has anyone run into repairs on the trail where they needed 700 ft-lbs of torque or even 1200 ft-lbs of torque that the 899 offers or is 330 ft-lbs that the 894 puts out enough for any application on the Jeep? For what it is worth, I have a high output air impact that I use at home so this is more for packing in the Jeep for the trail.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Pinion crush sleeve comes to mind, though odds of doing one on the trail are probably (and hopefully) low.

I have the 899 and it’s been great.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Yeah, pinion nuts and axle nuts can require some decent torque.

The other thing to keep in mind (that does happen) is the temperature of the batteries that you charged months before (and assume are still fully charged) don't put out near the expected torque that they should because they've been sitting in your Jeep for months and the battery life has diminished.

Run up to your local Home Depot they had one of their models 20v lithium clearanced to make room for new one, I almost snagged the display but then talked myself into just finishing my on board air for less money.

Coop

Caught the Bug
First, I am not a DeWalt fanboy but I do have enough invested in batteries and chargers that I don't want to re-invest in Milwaukee or another brand. So, this is specific to DeWalt options. They essentially have two 1/2" Impact Drivers. The DCF894 and DCF899. I'd prefer to have the more compact DCF894 but has anyone run into repairs on the trail where they needed 700 ft-lbs of torque or even 1200 ft-lbs of torque that the 899 offers or is 330 ft-lbs that the 894 puts out enough for any application on the Jeep? For what it is worth, I have a high output air impact that I use at home so this is more for packing in the Jeep for the trail.

I have the 899 and after numerous trail applications I would not go anywhere without it. It seems like when you go to loosen bolts and nuts, they have gained torque and are harder to get off than you remember torquing. Maybe just the circumstances IDK. Anyway, on the high setting (3), my 899 will loosen anything I have thrown at it. I wasn’t a fan boy of DeWalt either until I got this tool. The batteries are awesome as well. Well worth the price! It is my most trusted tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GreggNY

I’ve got the more powerful one and it’s been great. If it’s just going to be in the jeep, the size difference shouldn’t be huge and they probably both come with the same size dewalt bag. I can’t think of a time where I’ve ever wanted less power in a power tool. Plenty of times with the opposite though. Go big.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve got the larger one as well, no complaints! I love it, works great! I use it at work one the occasion and all the time on the jeep. Paired with the 6ah battery it’s perfect [emoji108]

SLO

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the 899 is preferred.

GreggNY, the compact size was more for getting in and around suspension and steering components but maybe it’s not that big of a deal. And, extension and wobble bits can take care of some of that.

WJCO, good point but I use batteries frequently enough at home that I always have freshly charged ones that I’ll throw in the bag when I head to the trails. I said I’m not a fanboy but my garage tells a different story: multiple saws, drills, multi-tool, plus the blower and string trimmer. [emoji15]

GreggNY

Thanks everyone. Sounds like the 899 is preferred.

GreggNY, the compact size was more for getting in and around suspension and steering components but maybe it’s not that big of a deal. And, extension and wobble bits can take care of some of that.

That actually is a valid concern. I was thinking you meant more of taking up space. The 899 is big. Rips lugs, control arm bolts, axle nuts etc off with ease. But you do have to get creative with extensions and those hinged swivel attachments to get in tight spots.

SLO

That actually is a valid concern. I was thinking you meant more of taking up space. The 899 is big. Rips lugs, control arm bolts, axle nuts etc off with ease. But you do have to get creative with extensions and those hinged swivel attachments to get in tight spots.

So what I hear you saying is, buy both? :D

Turbo21

I have both. The small one works really good for tight spots but doesn’t have the power of the bigger one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom