Need some advise on new wheel install, wheel locks? Valve stems?

I have finally bitten the bullet and ordered new KMC beadlocks for my 2011 JKU. Planning to put new 37 in. Cooper SST Pros on a set of KMC 232's. What is the hot setup for lugnuts? I know there are a couple different ways to make it harder for thieves to roll them away. Do you guys use splined lug nuts? McGuard type keyed nut? Gorilla? I'm probably over thinking this but damn, thats a lot of money hanging out there on each corner.

Also, Is there a best setup for the valve stems? Good old fashion rubber or Aluminum, steel? Long, short? What are you guys running in the rocks?

I've watched all the videos but I haven't seen these details. Any help greatly appreciated.

ThatJeepGuy

Avoid splined lug sets that use one key for all the lugs as they’ll share the same key with others who have similar lugs

Just not a unique key for the splined lugs is my point here

I just use the normal stems that work with my TPMS

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, any lug nut can be removed and I personally would run standard ones or at most, Gorilla being that most people have a key for it. Nothing sucks more than being on the trail and needing to replace a flat tire and not have the means to do it or at least, with ease.

Regarding valve stems, standard rubber is what I would recommend and longer ones if at all possible. Most beadlock wheels should come with them.

And, just in case you haven't seen it this one already...

Avoid splined lug sets that use one key for all the lugs as they’ll share the same key with others who have similar lugs

Just not a unique key for the splined lugs is my point here

I just use the normal stems that work with my TPMS

Honestly, any lug nut can be removed and I personally would run standard ones or at most, Gorilla being that most people have a key for it. Nothing sucks more than being on the trail and needing to replace a flat tire and not have the means to do it or at least, with ease.

Regarding valve stems, standard rubber is what I would recommend and longer ones if at all possible. Most beadlock wheels should come with them.

And, just in case you haven't seen it this one already...

Super! Thanks for the quick responses, I didn't know new wheels came with valve stems, Its been a long time since I bought wheels. I learned my lesson on carrying spline keys. Was with my son in Moab and he forgot his key. Somehow the tire shop there had a key that fit his wheels laying in their loose tools drawer. Don't want to count on that kind of luck. I always carry two.

So if you're installing new wheels and tires do you even worry about installing a new TPMS? I'm having trouble seeing the value? Probably going to turn it off with my ProCal anyway.

Exodus 4x4

Thanks partner, I have seen that, What do you recommend? I didn't see anything on your Website when I looked. Garage door and a Glock?

Lol, pretty much! Just regular open end acorn lug nuts really. If you really live in an area where you feel it’s a threat then Gorilla is the only real preventive security lug nut.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Super! Thanks for the quick responses, I didn't know new wheels came with valve stems, Its been a long time since I bought wheels. I learned my lesson on carrying spline keys. Was with my son in Moab and he forgot his key. Somehow the tire shop there had a key that fit his wheels laying in their loose tools drawer. Don't want to count on that kind of luck. I always carry two.

So if you're installing new wheels and tires do you even worry about installing a new TPMS? I'm having trouble seeing the value? Probably going to turn it off with my ProCal anyway.
I'm probably the exception but I've put tpms sensors in all 5 sets of beadlocks I've run. I like being able to see the pressures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm probably the exception but I've put tpms sensors in all 5 sets of beadlocks I've run. I like being able to see the pressures.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

So I just checked my AEV procal and I see where you can change the settings to 28/22 for the TPMS light to come on. Is that what you mean? I was thinking I’d run 26 to 28 psi on the street with the 37’s. Is that about right? If that works I can see where the TPMS makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol, pretty much! Just regular open end acorn lug nuts really. If you really live in an area where you feel it’s a threat then Gorilla is the only real preventive security lug nut.

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the Gorilla’s. The area where we live is very safe, the only thing I would worry about is when I’m off in the wilderness doing my photography thing. Sometimes off hiking for hours. Just want to make it hard on them.

wibornz

Is there a big trouble with big jeep wheel theft any where. I would think that only another Jeeper would want them and over the years, I have found that the vast majority of people that off road are the kind of people that will double down to help someone. They tend to be the people that stop their trail ride for five hours to make sure you get fixed on the side of the trail often using their tools and supplies if you are lacking.

I know the criminal element is every where, but I would think on the trail thievery would be relatively low.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Is there a big trouble with big jeep wheel theft any where. I would think that only another Jeeper would want them and over the years, I have found that the vast majority of people that off road are the kind of people that will double down to help someone. They tend to be the people that stop their trail ride for five hours to make sure you get fixed on the side of the trail often using their tools and supplies if you are lacking.

I know the criminal element is every where, but I would think on the trail thievery would be relatively low.

Most are honest, but never trust a Jeeper that looks angry all the time [emoji849]
IMG_4362.JPG

Is there a big trouble with big jeep wheel theft any where. I know the criminal element is every where, but I would think on the trail thievery would be relatively low.

Oh I agree 100 %, I wasn’t thinking about out on trails. but I spend a bunch of time out on in remote back country where I leave the Jeep parked at trail heads for hours at a time at night while I do night photography. I just don’t want to make it easy for some yahoo to get a dumb idea.

Steve, I took my sensors out years ago and turned off the alarm with my programmer.

Thanks! I can see how that makes sense. If the silly light does come on I rarely believe it anyway. As much as we mess with our tires I can tell how much air is in them pretty closely by just looking. The only time I think the TPMS might be valuable is on long Highway runs.
It would be nice to be able to display the actual tire pressure on your phone or IPad though. I wonder if those new bluetooth OBDII readers would do that? I'll have to check that out.

Top Bottom