How to Suffocate Your JL Wrangler...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Attend the JLX!

If there's one thing that I hate about a long desert trip like the one we just went on, it's that we're not in the lead and you can't back out of the dust. If you do, you're at risk of missing a turn and being, "that guy". In fact, it was after the JKX Wild Wild West that we first started to see multiple JK's with 3.6L engines ruined and it's why I'm so opposed to cold air intakes or CAI's. With that said, here's what our factory air filter was able to collect just after 4 months, 5,000 miles and just one JLX...

20181119103448-2b2dc9e4-me.jpg

20181119103446-845bb7a0-me.jpg

I should note that what you are seeing is just what came out after setting the filter down on the ground - NOT pounding it out. In all, I measured a little more than half a cup of ultra fine dust. The GOOD NEWS is that the air tube beyond the filter still looked clean and so did the oil. Unlike the JK before, the new OE paper filters really do a GREAT job of filtering dirt and for a guy like me who spends a lot of time out in the dust, I really am glad for it. :yup:

Time to do this again...

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Wow thats a lot of dust. Maybe time to install that Sema spiny product that mounts on your hood. Lol

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lord that’s a lot of dust!!!!! Glad to see it getting trapped though and not sucked into the motor

Me too! On the JK, dirt would have gotten through for sure. A CAI would have been a lot worse and this is speaking from personal experience.

Wow! That’s nice to know the factory filter works to catch that much fine partials.

Yup, the new JL OE filter works pretty damn good. :yup:

Wow thats a lot of dust. Maybe time to install that Sema spiny product that mounts on your hood. Lol

LOL - Seriously!! I was thinking about it the whole time we were on this trip. :crazyeyes:

:eek: Holy shit! Time for a change! :thumb:

Already done. :yup:

Bet the cabin air filter is choked out to. Wow!

Actually, I got a replacement but it isn't too bad. We ran most of this trip with the windows up. :crazyeyes:

Wow I have never seen that much dust come out of a filter.

This is what you get when you wheel out west. :icon_crazy:

Jsouder53

Hooked
That’s crazy! I can’t believe there was so much dust in your filter! I’ll be switching back to the paper filters eventually...

Coop

Caught the Bug
Man! Thank goodness the paper filters work!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Edwrds

Caught the Bug
Me too! On the JK, dirt would have gotten through for sure. A CAI would have been a lot worse and this is speaking from personal experience.

Yup, the new JL OE filter works pretty damn good. :yup:

LOL - Seriously!! I was thinking about it the whole time we were on this trip. :crazyeyes:

Already done. :yup:

Actually, I got a replacement but it isn't too bad. We ran most of this trip with the windows up. :crazyeyes:

This is what you get when you wheel out west. :icon_crazy:

So on the JK with a stock filter dirt would of still gotten through it? If so is there a fix for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s crazy! I can’t believe there was so much dust in your filter! I’ll be switching back to the paper filters eventually...

Funny thing is, I knew there would be a lot of dust - I just didn't realize how much there would be. LOVE me my OE paper filter :yup:

Man! Thank goodness the paper filters work!

Coming from a guy who used to run CAI's, yes, paper filters work THE BEST at keeping dirt out of your engine. :yup:

Snorkel with a pre-filter?? Seriously though, that’s impressive that it caught that much with no blow thru.

I won't lie, I really hate snorkels. Fortunately, the new OE filter on the JL does an awesome job. :yup:

Holy Crap... thats a lot of Dirt... what makes the JL filter better than the JK? The size of it?

Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I think the filter media is denser, the panel is bigger and there are a lot more pleats. I think all that help to make a better filter.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Filthy dirty lol

:cheesy: Just like me after working on Jeeps on the Rubicon :D

Is there a write up for the cabin air filter?

Not yet but I got a new filter for it and will do one soon.

VERY Impressive!

Indeed. After seeing the mess CAI's and other high flow filters can cause, I am now a firm believer in OE paper filters. :yup:

That's pretty Incredible really, good to see it's doing its job though

Yup, I was really expecting the worst but so happy to see just how well the OE filter did. :yup:

So on the JK with a stock filter dirt would of still gotten through it? If so is there a fix for it.

I have found the OE paper filter on the JK to do significantly better than any K&N or otherwise but after a run like this, I would still find traces of dust inside the air tube and oil that was dirtier than I would think is normal. In fact, I would normally change both right afterward. This time around, my air tube on my JL looked surprisingly clean and my oil, something I had just changed before the trip, still looked good as well. :yup:

Top Bottom