Mopar Big Brake Kit Discontinued for the JK

Tanktitan

I have been planning on upgrading my JK brakes and had been looking at the Dynatrac Progrip. But, based on some of the member opinions here, I became convinced that the Mopar Big Brake Kit with its dual calipers and larger than stock rotors was the way to go. I tried ordering them today and everyone is saying they are discontinued. A number of places are advertising this kit for the JL, but they say it does not fit the JK. Anyone know why it would not fit, or where I can find an original kit that fits my JK? Or, what else should I be looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

Look for the Crown kit as I believe it was the same. It was basically Ram calipers and rotors and a master cylinder from a Dakota if I recall properly. You can piece together a kit by yourself if you can find the parts list. I know I've seen said list someplace, but not sure where right now.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

MericaMade

I have been planning on upgrading my JK brakes and had been looking at the Dynatrac Progrip. But, based on some of the member opinions here, I became convinced that the Mopar Big Brake Kit with its dual calipers and larger than stock rotors was the way to go. I tried ordering them today and everyone is saying they are discontinued. A number of places are advertising this kit for the JL, but they say it does not fit the JK. Anyone know why it would not fit, or where I can find an original kit that fits my JK? Or, what else should I be looking at?

I did did a simple google search and found it on X terrain in stock for JK.

WJCO

Meme King

Not sure who convinced you of that, but I would be looking at the Dynatrac progrip kit.

I did did a simple google search and found it on X terrain in stock for JK.

Yeah, extreme terrain sucks balls.

MericaMade

Not sure who convinced you of that, but I would be looking at the Dynatrac progrip kit.

Yeah, extreme terrain sucks balls.

I agree and so does MOPAR but they can be found. I agree with you Dynatrac is the way to go.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Idk who would tell you to not do the pro grips but to each their own. I was able to lock my 35’s up on my 2 door with the pro grip set up

Tanktitan

WJCO asked who convicted me to go with the Mopar. There is a really good thread started by Chad s on 9/18 titled Mopar Big Brake Kit.

First off, I love my Dynatrac ProRock 44 unlimited. I can be fine with their Progrips. However the greater clamping force gained by replacing the stock calipers with dual pistons of greater total capacity than stock is simply “better”. I run Hutchinson, with BFG KM2’s that weigh 121 pounds each. It is not my DD. I carry a bunch of stuff. My DD is an MB that stops so fast it is dangerous for the vehicle behind me, if it me in my Jeep following me.

Given my circumstance, I had hoped to step up a notch from just bigger rotors and better pads.

All suggestions are appreciated.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Any big brake kit is going to be an improvement. The larger rotor found in every kit, including Dynatrac, makes the biggest difference. But if you have your heart set on a kit with a bigger, 2 pot caliper, Teraflex offers it. Yes I know they have a bad rep on this forum. But I can tell you that the only TF part I have on my Jeep is the big brake kit, and it’s worked well for me for going on 5+ years.

Last edited:

Tanktitan

That is a bold admission. Facts are facts. It is appreciated. I will look at it. As for me, I have a one TF part and it is the tailgate shelf thingy and I can honestly say that it has held up well to a lot of beer and sandwiches.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
There is a reason it was discontinued. It wasn’t selling. That should tell you something. I literally know nobody and have never met someone with that kit. That tells you something else.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
The Mopar big brake kit cannot just be pieced together from other vehicles. The rotors and caliper brackets are unique to that kit, not used from a different vehicle. The pads and calipers you could get and I do believe those are from RAM 1500. You can also buy replacement rotors a obviously. You can also buy the brake booster/master. If the whole kit was discontinued I'd buy something that is still in market if it were me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom