Wear your PPE kids!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
So about a 3 hour cutting and grinding session on some Jeep stuff resulted in a not so fun day for me. Sunday night I was working on shaving a 14 bolt when I got some metal filings in my eyes. Although I was wearing safety glasses and a particulate mask (thinking I was being safe) some metal managed to make its way past the glasses and into my eye. Fast forward to Monday morning and I damn near couldn’t see. A trip to the doc (thanks to my wife for being my chauffeur) revealed I had 3 pieces of metal embedded in my right eye and two in the left. Go me for not doing shit half-assed! :thumb: All they could do for me there was numb my eyes and get me an appt with an optometrist. Meeting that guy was not a pleasant experience. He dug in my eyeballs with a damn needle for about 10 minutes all while a nurse is pushing on the back of my head so I can’t escape this bondage contraption my face is clamped in. Although not painful it was, as I said, unpleasant. All good now with just some antibiotic drops and sore eyes but should heal up fine. So moral of the story is you won’t catch me grinding without a face shield again. I’d encourage all those out there to do the same and wear the appropriate PPE for whatever task you are doing. Stay safe guys and gals.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
So about a 3 hour cutting and grinding session on some Jeep stuff resulted in a not so fun day for me. Sunday night I was working on shaving a 14 bolt when I got some metal filings in my eyes. Although I was wearing safety glasses and a particulate mask (thinking I was being safe) some metal managed to make its way past the glasses and into my eye. Fast forward to Monday morning and I damn near couldn’t see. A trip to the doc (thanks to my wife for being my chauffeur) revealed I had 3 pieces of metal embedded in my right eye and two in the left. Go me for not doing shit half-assed! :thumb: All they could do for me there was numb my eyes and get me an appt with an optometrist. Meeting that guy was not a pleasant experience. He dug in my eyeballs with a damn needle for about 10 minutes all while a nurse is pushing on the back of my head so I can’t escape this bondage contraption my face is clamped in. Although not painful it was, as I said, unpleasant. All good now with just some antibiotic drops and sore eyes but should heal up fine. So moral of the story is you won’t catch me grinding without a face shield again. I’d encourage all those out there to do the same and wear the appropriate PPE for whatever task you are doing. Stay safe guys and gals.

Glad to hear all is well.. I was pulling nails on the side of a building with a flat bar, nail sprung out and right in the eyeball. Safety glasses perched up on top of my head.:doh: It was a trip when doctor used this little scope thing. Watched it come all the way and touch my eyeball and didn't even finch. She said she had already numbed my eye. All in all she said "you just put a small dent in it" Haha ...Again glad to hear it wasn't worse. PPE:rock:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Glad to hear you will heal up ok. I tend to get more shit in my eyes while wearing glasses than without. (I'm not saying not to wear them) I think the reason is the false sense of security. Shit can and will make its way around those suckers.
On another note. Are you documenting the 14 bolt mods? I have been contemplating going this route for a while now.

Damn that sucks. I’m supposed to have surgery on my eye but once I found out they take your eyeball out and put it on your forehead I was like heck no!

Random but if you ever get an MRI be sure to tell them even if you don’t think you’ve ever gotten something in your eyes.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Glad your ok. That’s never fun have metal plucked out of your eyes. Unfortunately, it’s likely to happen if you work with metal enough. Even when wearing glasses. My adventure started by blowing filings off a part that I was drilling out. Fun

WJCO

Meme King

That sucks. Glad you're OK.

I tend to get more shit in my eyes while wearing glasses than without. (I'm not saying not to wear them)

I've had this happen several times too with glasses.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Glad to hear you will heal up ok. I tend to get more shit in my eyes while wearing glasses than without. (I'm not saying not to wear them) I think the reason is the false sense of security. Shit can and will make its way around those suckers.
On another note. Are you documenting the 14 bolt mods? I have been contemplating going this route for a while now.

Yea I’m posting it up on my build thread. Going to be a slow process. I just work on it here and there. Also will be doing a superduty front.

No pictures of them digging in your eyeball? Weak!

For some reason forgot to take pictures to document. :shrug:

Seeing what you do for a living shame shame shame. Safety manager wouldn’t be happy. Lesson learned

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Haha, yea. She already gave me the business. I’ve always been guilt of grinding without a faceshield. Like you said, lesson learned.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Yikes! Diggin with needles sounds like a bad day... I had some pieces from a grinding wheel get stuck in my eye earlier this year but there was no needles involved to get them out. I wear a shield now.

Jsouder53

Hooked
That’s crazy! Glad your okay! I had that happen once while wearing goggles. I felt it hit my face and ricochet up in my eye somehow... didn’t realize it stuck. Few days later I could hardly open my eye. Then they had to take a small grinder to get it out [emoji51] not fun!

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
That’s crazy! Glad your okay! I had that happen once while wearing goggles. I felt it hit my face and ricochet up in my eye somehow... didn’t realize it stuck. Few days later I could hardly open my eye. Then they had to take a small grinder to get it out [emoji51] not fun!

Thanks. Yea I guess eyes heal super fast so if you wait too long the skin grows over the object. Grinder to the eye sounds terrible.

Glad you got it even that early. “Rust eye” is a common occurrence at my work even with glasses, they take a die grinder to your eye and literally grind it out. Nope nope nope.

BaddestCross

Had this happen to me before. A pretty big chunk of metal - relative to the size of a chunk of metal that's SUPPOSED to be jammed in your eyeball 🤪 - stuck in my eye... I felt it scraping my inner eyelid the next day so I went to the dreaded doc. It was big enough that he was able to grab it with a set of tweezers and I was good to go. Not something I would recommend to the youngins, though. 😂

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

jdofmemi

I've been lucky with my eyes, so far.

Since I wear glasses anyway, and I need safety glasses at work, I wear safety glasses all the time, and they have saved me many times.

Other parts of me have not been as lucky.

I once had a ball of slag from cutting under an old truck land in my ear.
I ran in to the bathroom to run water, and in the mirror, I literally saw smoke coming out of my ear.

I got the fire out, but could not retrieve the slag. It quit hurting, so I left it, but at a later trip to the doctor, he found an "obstruction" in my ear.

After trying to rinse it, then swab it, he went in with a tiny ste of needle nose pliers. It damn near hurt as bad coming out as it did burning it's way in.

PPE would have helped there too.

Top Bottom