Balance 40" tires

bhaner

I am finding it is almost impossible to get 40" tires balanced around here.

This wasn't the case 5 years ago. Discount, Les Schwab, etc. all had the ability.

I guess most have updated their balance machines and they no longer are able to handle anything over a 37.

Anyone else noticed this?

RSQCON

If you've got them mounted on the beadlocks throw them on and go for a drive. I'm running 37" Krawlers with no weights and no vibrations.

A.J.

I am finding it is almost impossible to get 40" tires balanced around here.

This wasn't the case 5 years ago. Discount, Les Schwab, etc. all had the ability.

I guess most have updated their balance machines and they no longer are able to handle anything over a 37.

Anyone else noticed this?

Try them first. Most tire shops use road force balancer now and 37 is about it because the drum is in the way. If they do semi truck tires they can probably do it on the truck balancer if they have the right cones and if they are willing to do it( which is usually the main problem). It won’t be as accurate but it might be good enough if you’re having a problem. Try them first and see if they need to be balanced. Might drive just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lojo

I’ve have always ran 37 and larger on my f250 and never balance them. Never had a problem. I thinks it’s almost impossible to balance a tire that large. There is a little weight difference between the Jeep and f250 but not sure if it will matter.

Benito

Caught the Bug
From my experience, a set of 37s and 2 sets of 40s, These large quality tires don’t need balancing. I’m no physicist but I believe it has to do with them being so heavy all the way around that the small deviations don’t really matter. I took the 37s in once to get them balanced because they were new, already had about 200 miles on them, and when I got the Jeep back they felt like they needed to be balanced, I took off all the weights that they had put on them and the Jeep drove fine again.

black pearl

Hooked
Never used it myself but I’ve seen places recommend tire balancing beads for beadlocks. Maybe someone here might have used them and can give their opinion.

I have the balancing beads in my current tiers (35s). They do alright most of the time, but they can be inconsistent. Also if you have any moisture in your tiers and it freezes they can stick together and make for a miserable ride till they break apart.
I've put a few thousand miles with them now and 90% of the time they work fairly well.

RSQCON

...any moisture in your tiers and it freezes they can stick together and make for a miserable ride...
Experienced this myself and is why I don't recommend them. On a daily driver you could avoid this by only using nitrogen in your tires but on a Jeep where you are constantly airing down and filling up absolutely NOT.

jdofmemi

The larger the tire, the less rpm the tire turns for any given speed.
That is the main reason that larger tires are less sensitive to balancing, in my opinion.

That's not saying that it can't be a problem, but small tires turning higher rpm will be a bigger problem.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
I've run Nitto 40s for years now. Have had 2 sets on 3 different sets of wheels all from different manufacturers. Never had to balance any of them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
From my experience, a set of 37s and 2 sets of 40s, These large quality tires don’t need balancing. I’m no physicist but I believe it has to do with them being so heavy all the way around that the small deviations don’t really matter. I took the 37s in once to get them balanced because they were new, already had about 200 miles on them, and when I got the Jeep back they felt like they needed to be balanced, I took off all the weights that they had put on them and the Jeep drove fine again.

That is funny shit!

Top Bottom