Thread: Jeep TJ 4wd Question

Jeep TJ 4wd Question

My 4wd in my 2005 Jeep TJ continues to kick out and is extremely hard to get into and out of 4 wheel. I had bought the Novak conversion transfer cable but my mechanic said he has done them and it is extremely hard to get them lined up perfectly and if it isnít adjusted perfectly then there is a risk of ruining the gears. What else could I do to fix this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two Snboarder113's Avatar
    I think you need a new mechanic... itís not that hard, tons of people run them. There are other linkage adapters you can choose from if youíre set against it.

I donít have any experience with the kit so I wasnít sure what to do but the mechanic I go to said it would be better to take it to a Jeep dealer and have them replace it with an original part.

Hooked
    Some guys did the installation by themselves and the process went smoothly. Try to find another mechanic or ask a friend who has experience installing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jranso04 View Post
    I donít have any experience with the kit so I wasnít sure what to do but the mechanic I go to said it would be better to take it to a Jeep dealer and have them replace it with an original part.

Ok letís back up so Iím not making assumptions.
    Itís popping out of 4wd due to the linkage correct?
    You have a Lift kit or transfercase drop? Or did this just recently start happening with no new modification

I wouldnít think Novak would still sell it if itís so hard to put on that people ruin their gears. Grab a few tools and dive in, make yourself proud

Quote Originally Posted by Snboarder113 View Post
    Ok letís back up so Iím not making assumptions.
    Itís popping out of 4wd due to the linkage correct?
    You have a Lift kit or transfercase drop? Or did this just recently start happening with no new modification
    I will put it into 4 lo or even 4 high itís extremely hard to get the lever to fall into the correct place and when I finally get it to go Iíll drive a little and it will grind the gears and kick it out of 4wd. It started happening at the end of last winter. I have no major modifications. Just slightly bigger than stock tires (up to 31ís) and new rims with more backspacing. No lift or anything else. Iíd love to work on it myself but 1 it is my only car and I canít afford to mess something up. And 2 it was my uncles who passed away and Iím trying to make it last for a very long time. Iím a novice when it comes to working on vehicles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I canít take a pic to show you but the shifter has a rod that pivots between the body and drivetrain, it has a bushing that may have fallen out or somehow the rod popped out of alignment. I would have thought your mechanic would have seen that tho. Too bad you werenít closer Iíd look at it with you. Put out a feeler and see if anyone is close to you that could help

Quote Originally Posted by JKbrick View Post
    I canít take a pic to show you but the shifter has a rod that pivots between the body and drivetrain, it has a bushing that may have fallen out or somehow the rod popped out of alignment. I would have thought your mechanic would have seen that tho. Too bad you werenít closer Iíd look at it with you. Put out a feeler and see if anyone is close to you that could help

Thank you for the help. My mechanic didnít really look at it. He was swamped with end of the month inspections he was just telling me what he thought about the new cable. He did say that though to get new bushings and grease the crap out of it. Thank you for the help though. Iíll have to do more research on it. Thank you again though I really appreciate it!

New bushings on the linkage and readjustment should be all you need. Or install the novak, its a good unit and it just needs to be adjusted, no different then adjusting the oe one.