Jeep TJ 4wd Question

Jranso04

My 4wd in my 2005 Jeep TJ continues to kick out and is extremely hard to get into and out of 4 wheel. I had bought the Novak conversion transfer cable but my mechanic said he has done them and it is extremely hard to get them lined up perfectly and if it isn’t adjusted perfectly then there is a risk of ruining the gears. What else could I do to fix this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jranso04

I don’t have any experience with the kit so I wasn’t sure what to do but the mechanic I go to said it would be better to take it to a Jeep dealer and have them replace it with an original part.

patr1ckm

Some guys did the installation by themselves and the process went smoothly. Try to find another mechanic or ask a friend who has experience installing it.

I don’t have any experience with the kit so I wasn’t sure what to do but the mechanic I go to said it would be better to take it to a Jeep dealer and have them replace it with an original part.

Ok let’s back up so I’m not making assumptions.
It’s popping out of 4wd due to the linkage correct?
You have a Lift kit or transfercase drop? Or did this just recently start happening with no new modification

JKbrick

I wouldn’t think Novak would still sell it if it’s so hard to put on that people ruin their gears. Grab a few tools and dive in, make yourself proud

Jranso04

Ok let’s back up so I’m not making assumptions.
It’s popping out of 4wd due to the linkage correct?
You have a Lift kit or transfercase drop? Or did this just recently start happening with no new modification

I will put it into 4 lo or even 4 high it’s extremely hard to get the lever to fall into the correct place and when I finally get it to go I’ll drive a little and it will grind the gears and kick it out of 4wd. It started happening at the end of last winter. I have no major modifications. Just slightly bigger than stock tires (up to 31’s) and new rims with more backspacing. No lift or anything else. I’d love to work on it myself but 1 it is my only car and I can’t afford to mess something up. And 2 it was my uncles who passed away and I’m trying to make it last for a very long time. I’m a novice when it comes to working on vehicles. Any help is greatly appreciated.

JKbrick

I can’t take a pic to show you but the shifter has a rod that pivots between the body and drivetrain, it has a bushing that may have fallen out or somehow the rod popped out of alignment. I would have thought your mechanic would have seen that tho. Too bad you weren’t closer I’d look at it with you. Put out a feeler and see if anyone is close to you that could help

Jranso04

I can’t take a pic to show you but the shifter has a rod that pivots between the body and drivetrain, it has a bushing that may have fallen out or somehow the rod popped out of alignment. I would have thought your mechanic would have seen that tho. Too bad you weren’t closer I’d look at it with you. Put out a feeler and see if anyone is close to you that could help

Thank you for the help. My mechanic didn’t really look at it. He was swamped with end of the month inspections he was just telling me what he thought about the new cable. He did say that though to get new bushings and grease the crap out of it. Thank you for the help though. I’ll have to do more research on it. Thank you again though I really appreciate it!

New bushings on the linkage and readjustment should be all you need. Or install the novak, its a good unit and it just needs to be adjusted, no different then adjusting the oe one.

I have Novak. Had it for years. Required for my UCF tummy tuck. Never been a problem.
The key to the 4 Hi to 4 Lo shift or vice versa is have the Jeep transmission in neutral and have your Jeep rolling slowly, like less than 1 mph. Then move the lever very very quickly. You'll feel it "pop" into gear with experience.
A properly adjusted Novak is a dream. The factory linkages is crap, but it works smoothly if done as described.

dougrz

Thank you for the help though. I’ll have to do more research on it.

What did you end up doing? No way, no how is the cable harder to adjust than the stock linkage. It's a straightforward install, too. 2 to 3 hours for a typical slow going driveway job. Adjustment is silly simple.

Greater concern is the popping out of the selected range. Likely the stock linkage as pointed out, but small chance the box is wanky.

Cherenkov

Yeah a follow up, end solution would be nice. The daughters TJ pops out of high range a couple of times. I looked at the repair manual and was going to try adjusting it. The replacement linkages I have seen always look to be for a lifted Jeep. This particular Jeep is low miles for the year (70k) and has seen minimal off road use so doubtful the case is wanky.

Top Bottom