Death Wobble...how bad?

So I've isolated the cause of my death wobble. I need a new tie rod end and front track bar bushings (Just replacing the entire track bar). The parts are ordered but I won't be able to get to it till Friday night. My question is do I do more damage to other components by driving it? I leave for work at 3:45 AM so I don't really have to worry about traffic but I don't want to cause more expenses.

ammojustin

I’d say it would depend on the distance of the drive and the severity of the DW and the extent of upgrades you have (size of tires mostly) a few days with minimal driving at low speeds shouldn’t cause a lot more damage. My concern is that if you recently replaced the track bar and your already replacing the bushing then I’d expect you have a more serious issue. But I understand needing the vehicle. So I’d suggest identifying the speed at which you DW starts then stay under that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The track bar is just over 2 years old...it’s the old RK design which is adjustable on both ends. I figured they went away from the design for a reason so replacing it with a new one. The DW really on kicks in if hitting a bump at above 40. I have 37” tires and I drive less than 20 to work on city streets so I can stay around 40 no problem.

jeeeep

Hooked
The track bar is just over 2 years old...it’s the old RK design which is adjustable on both ends. I figured they went away from the design for a reason so replacing it with a new one. The DW really on kicks in if hitting a bump at above 40. I have 37” tires and I drive less than 20 to work on city streets so I can stay around 40 no problem.

it only does it when you hit a bump? if so, sounds more like a bad case of bump steer.

DW would happened at speed without having any bumps etc...

With DW the front end bucks from the time it starts until you come to a complete stop - at least that's been my experience

ammojustin

Mine started at 60ish and stopped at around 40. Mine was a combination of all steering components. So I went heavy duty RE (Rubicon Express) tie rod, drag link (which was completely trashed) and track bar for good measure. Almost have my issue completely resolved now. Just need to mount my steering stabilizer to help with the road wondering. But given you drive and speeds I’d say you should be able to drive the week without any major issues. Just know that when it does DW those vibrations are being absorbed by all the bushing which will degrade them over time

I like your set up. I have the synergy heavy duty tie rod and currently have the rock Krawler bomb proof track bar. It’s 100% DW.....damn near jerks the steering wheel from my hand every time. It stops at about 30 when I get it....I’ve had it before due to ball joints and figured that’s what it’d be this time too but had a quality off road shop check it out and they said the ball joints look great but showed me the play and clicking feel of the passenger side tie rod end and the play in the track bar bushings. I’m just hoping nothing else surprises me for a little while but it’s a Jeep so something most likely will. For me it seems like with every upgrade I have something completely unrelated go wrong I have to fix haha

WJCO

Meme King
Mine was similar to yours. It would happen at 45-50 only after hitting a bump. It took me forever to find the cause, so until then, I did everything possible to avoid any bumps. Sounds like if you keep it under 40, you'll be good. And yes it does have the potential to damage other parts when it occurs.

Mine was similar to yours. It would happen at 45-50 only after hitting a bump. It took me forever to find the cause, so until then, I did everything possible to avoid any bumps. Sounds like if you keep it under 40, you'll be good. And yes it does have the potential to damage other parts when it occurs.

I’ll do my best to stay out of DW till I can fix it. What did you determine was the cause of your DW?

WJCO

Meme King
I’ll do my best to stay out of DW till I can fix it. What did you determine was the cause of your DW?

Mine was a rusted track bar bolt that was loose before it rusted. So even when I tightened it, it was hitting the rust before it fully torqued. It wasn't until I broke it while overtorquing it that I found the rust.

If you have someone start the Jeep and turn the steering wheel from 10oclock to 2oclock back and forth while you watch the steering joints and track bar ends, you should be able to find what part has play. Also check wheel bearings for play if you haven't already.

jeeeep

Hooked

have you removed the track bar and checked that the track bar bracket hole is not ovaled out?

Seems even at torque, if the bolt hole is ovaled out it'll allow enough movement to cause DW

Mine was a rusted track bar bolt that was loose before it rusted. So even when I tightened it, it was hitting the rust before it fully torqued. It wasn't until I broke it while overtorquing it that I found the rust.

If you have someone start the Jeep and turn the steering wheel from 10oclock to 2oclock back and forth while you watch the steering joints and track bar ends, you should be able to find what part has play. Also check wheel bearings for play if you haven't already.

Ya, that’s how the shop showed me. I like doing things myself but when it comes to diagnosing the safety of steering I let the extremely more knowledgeable learn me something new. It affects the safety of my family so I’ll let them do it right. And due to my new schedule I’m prolly going to allow them to put it on somif the hole is wallowed out they’ll catch it...well should anyways

Ruvicon

When I first bought my Jeep, I’d experience DW at about 40mph and found worn trackbar and one tie rod. While I ordered the replacement parts, I still drove it back n forth and as I accelerated at about 35mph and above, I’d swerve to the left and right within the lane until 60mph and I seemed to avoid DW. Worked for me...

When I first bought my Jeep, I’d experience DW at about 40mph and found worn trackbar and one tie rod. While I ordered the replacement parts, I still drove it back n forth and as I accelerated at about 35mph and above, I’d swerve to the left and right within the lane until 60mph and I seemed to avoid DW. Worked for me...

I'll keep that little trick in mind. thanks

Top Bottom