Garage/Shop Dust Collection Systems

WJCO

Meme King
Any of you have any practical dust collection systems that didn't cost a ton and are rather simple? Currently, I just sweep a large pile of metal or wood dust in the center of the garage, then use the shop vac, then a leaf blower for the fine stuff.

I'm hoping for something a little more permanent without being overly expensive or cumbersome. I'm OK with a diy system as well but really don't have a lot of ideas for simplicity. I cut both wood and metal. We have the space for a dust collection bag but I'm OK just using my shop vac as well.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Check out Fein turbo dust extractor. We use one at work and it works pretty well! You can hook up a chop saw or a sander or most hand tools that have a dust bag. It’s automatic to when you turn on the tool, the vacuum turns on.

Here is our semi permanent shop setup
Image1543186378.832236.jpg

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Last time I did a bunch of woodworking in my garage, I put together a temporary manifold with 3 or 4" PVC pipe and ran flex hose to my saws. Attached my large shop vac to it and it worked pretty well. If I had a dedicated shop, I'd have a permanent dust collector for sure.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
I use the shop vac trick when needed. Just duct tape the hose to the back of the chop saw or table saw. If I was to do a lot of cutting inside though, I’d invest in something like Jsouder mentioned.

Top Bottom