Passenger Side Lean

bhaner

Trying to figure out why my setup wants to lean to the passenger side. About 1.5" lower on the passenger side.

My coilovers have the same preload left-right.

Axles are centered at ride height.

Fuel tank is installed but empty.

Control arms are the same length left-right.

Another strange thing is the passenger side is soft when you push down on the fender. Drivers side is hard.

Ideas? I kinda want to get it close before I install the sway bars. I imagine it is going to get worse once I add fuel.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Lots of conflicting theories on it. Some say it's weight of the fuel tank, spring sag, etc. I have seen rigs of all different build levels with it. Some people pre load their sway bars to counter act the lean, I have also heard of people changing the preload on their coil overs, or adding spacers to one or more corners on conventional setups. I personally have been lucky enough that mine hasn't had a lean ever since I installed my lift.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Pre-load shouldn't be the same on each side. Compress that passenger side and level the jeep out. I run 1/2" spacers on the right side and it still leans with a full tank of gas. Don't forget to account for driver weight, so you don't want it perfectly level with an empty seat or it'll lean the other way.

bhaner

Just seems odd that with no extra weight on the passenger side it wants to sit that way.

I measured it this morning to make sure and it was exactly 2" difference.

What really bugs me is how the springs act when you press down on the fenders. Drivers side is rock hard. Passenger side is springy.

Seems like something is holding up the drivers side.

bhaner

Lots of conflicting theories on it. Some say it's weight of the fuel tank, spring sag, etc. I have seen rigs of all different build levels with it. Some people pre load their sway bars to counter act the lean, I have also heard of people changing the preload on their coil overs, or adding spacers to one or more corners on conventional setups. I personally have been lucky enough that mine hasn't had a lean ever since I installed my lift.

My empty fuel tank with skid can't weigh more than 50 pounds. I was able to lift it up there easy.

I also shouldn't have any spring sag with new springs. I even moved the coilovers from left to right with no change.

A.J.

Even without coil overs the lean happens. I load my tools and recovery gear heaviest items accordingly to help compensate. Whatever you do don’t blame your wife for it. Not a good idea at all even jokingly.

bhaner

I added 2" of preload to the passenger front tonight. I am still sitting 1/2" low. It's like something is pushing down on the passenger side.

Even when I jack up the front end by the frame on the passenger side... It wants to lift the whole jeep. If I lift up on the drivers side it only lifts the drivers side.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Loosen the control arm bolts one at a time with weight on the ground. Maybe you got a bound up joint.

bhaner

Got some pointers from someone on FB. They had me remove an upper control arm on the front and on the rear.

As soon as I removed a rear upper control arm it was no longer in a bind. Now it leans to the drivers side!

Top Bottom