Additional work while replacing ball joints?

rmilobrown

Hey Guys, It's time to replace the ball joints on my 2015 with 53k miles. I've been running 33s with 1-1/2" spacers and the balls are shot. I will be moving up to 35s soon so EVO C Gussets will go in while I have it apart. Opinion Please! Should I go all the way with unit bearings, shafts and axle seals based on mileage? Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_20181129_155404825_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181129_155404825_HDR.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 149

fiend

Caught the Bug
I don’t think there’s a need to replace shafts or seals unless something is wrong with what you have.

Same with unit bearings, which are fairly cheap and easy to replace later if necessary.

But I would check your brake pads and replace as necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
I run 35s on my d30. My shafts are fine, I run fire roads for the most part and occasionally rocks. I have gussets waiting to be installed when I get the chance.

A.J.

Based on mileage I would say no. If you want to upgrade shafts while everything is apart sure why not? I’ll echo what Fiend said about unit bearings. They are easy to do later, and hard to check if your ball joints are bad. Last time I had a bad one I did both and kept the good one for a trail spare.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

zimm

Caught the Bug
If you don't want to replace shafts and seals, you can at least upgrade the u-joints to full circle clips and ditch the c-clips. The same ball joint press will work to push the u-joints back and forth to get the clips on.

Pro-tip- (I didn't realize I could do this until the job was done), you can carefully pull the bearing cap off the u-joint and slip the circle clip on, then replace the cap. I wasted a lot of effort stretching the clips over the caps. Dumb.

rmilobrown

Thanks, I appreciate your replies! Ball joints, C Gussets and axle U joints with full clips sounds reasonable. What about one kit to remove ball joints? Eddie has two Astro items linked on Amazon, is that the best option for a stock Rubi axle?

Attachments

• IMG_20180508_112625445_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180508_112625445_HDR.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 109

zimm

Caught the Bug
Here's my write up. I got by with the OTC press and adaptor set. It did the u-joints too. It was a little short to pop out one of the stock lowers, so I cut off an inch of the old ball joint stud, then it worked.

Make sure to fish out the plastic rings sitting inside your axle tubes. You want to be very careful putting the axle shafts back in, or you'll be doing it again to replace the inner seals.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...ls-and-pro-steer-ball-joints-aftermath-report

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yeah either way. Just don’t forget and jam a axle in there and push the ring into seal.

Slimebones

And I like to use a little anti-seize on the knuckle surface as that is always rusty and makes removal next time easier.

Top Bottom