Switch to all terrains or nah?

Braxtonsag

Currently I have 37” stt pros and have loved them but I have only had them about a year and they’ve worn significantly as I travel quite a bit.

I’d like to ideally swap over to a hybrid or all terrain as long as I don’t overly sacrifice traction for road comfort and tread life.

Currently I have beadlocks so my thinking is that I’ll still have a big contact patch once aired down and I wont notice much difference but Iv never ran all terrains on my jeep so cant say for sure.

Has anyone made the switch to or from big all terrains and can give any input?

Another big key here is that I live in Indiana and only really get to go play in the big rocks once or twice a year in the Southwest. Also have to deal with winter etc. pic of current setup attached below

IMG_1526.jpg

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I would personally get a set of cheap wheels for daily driver tires, and hang on to the the others for those couple time a year that you could use them. When you hit less aggressive trails the all terrain tires should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
My thoughts exactly, it just doesn’t make sense to replace tires every 1.5 years in my opinion. Maybe if it wasn’t a daily driver

How many miles are on your set? I'm really surprised at your wear comment. These are the best wearing big tires I've ever run. I have 45k +/- on mine and still have half of the tread left. What pressure do you run them at on the street?

Braxtonsag

Yeah I don’t care too much about the look, I just want them to be able to perform when we do go out west. We usually take a month long trip all over the southwest and just explore the whole time. We start in Colorado, make our way to moab, and then just venture off into Arizona, Nevada, California, New Mexico, and Texas before heading back home. We’ve never been limited before and I’d like to keep it that way.

Braxtonsag

How many miles are on your set? I'm really surprised at your wear comment. These are the best wearing big tires I've ever run. I have 45k +/- on mine and still have half of the tread left. What pressure do you run them at on the street?

Wow yeah I don’t have near that. I bought them used at like 90% tread at around 5k miles on my jeep. It currently has almost 26k. A lot of it is probably due to the fact I wasn’t able to rotate them on time due to circumstances out of my control and they went probably 15k before being rotated again. I run them at 28psi. During that 15k I noticed the fronts got substantially more worn than the rears due to cupping.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’m running Mickey Thompson Atz p3, they claim they are a hybrid. I have had great traction in mud and on the few rocks I’ve been on... they also wear great, I’ve ran roughly 30,000 miles and still 50%+ life left I think. Haven’t really measured it, but the lugs look great. I also rotate them as often as I can, typically with every oil change

jkbarnett

I’ve always ran a MT. Over two years ago I purchased some BFG AT’s when I decided to tow my jeep behind the motorhome touring the USA. They are a great tire but miss my MT’s. I live in CA where I have more of a need for a more aggressive tire.

SLO

Wow yeah I don’t have near that. I bought them used at like 90% tread at around 5k miles on my jeep. It currently has almost 26k. A lot of it is probably due to the fact I wasn’t able to rotate them on time due to circumstances out of my control and they went probably 15k before being rotated again. I run them at 28psi. During that 15k I noticed the fronts got substantially more worn than the rears due to cupping.

Did you measure the tread when you bought them? Just wondering if there was more tread wear when you bought them than you thought or than the seller advertised.

For those running the STT Pro’s, is cupping normal at 15K miles at 28psi? Seems strange.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Did you measure the tread when you bought them? Just wondering if there was more tread wear when you bought them than you thought or than the seller advertised.

For those running the STT Pro’s, is cupping normal at 15K miles at 28psi? Seems strange.

I was wondering the same thing. My STT Pros are holding up great I have over 20k on them so far and could easily claim they were almost new and sell them if I wanted to be an asshole.

Ddays

Hooked

Definitely not. I run 26psi in mine with no cupping. Like OP said, its more than likely due to not rotating them.

Braxtonsag

Cupping is definitely mostly caused by not rotating frequently enough. All MTs do it unfortunately. If left alone they will wear quickly once the cups are made

Braxtonsag

I was wondering the same thing. My STT Pros are holding up great I have over 20k on them so far and could easily claim they were almost new and sell them if I wanted to be an asshole.

I might go ahead and buy the stt pros again and just make sure I keep up on rotations. I had Mopar locking lugs and I had a shop 3 hours away do my regear. They forgot to give me back my key and made excuses for over a month about shipping it back. I eventually had to hammer on sockets or I wasn’t going to have any tires left.

robx251

Caught the Bug
I had a set of bfg ATs on mine and would have gotten another set if I had the scratch for another set this time around. But I got my new ones for a heck of a deal and couldn’t pass it up

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

Top Bottom