Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PO6DD code need some help please

PO6DD code need some help please

I need some help! I'm getting the PO6DD code on my 2012 3.6l which is the oil pressure code for the 2 stage oil pump. I can clear the code and go almost a day before it comes back and limits me to 3500 RPM or less. I have searched the internet and this site and need to see who has had this issue and the fix? I have purchased a MOPAR oil filter as suggested and the engine oil level is perfect. I'm reading it can be the filter, pressure sensor, the oil pump or the O ring on the oil pickup tube in the pan. I was thinking about doing the sensor first as it's the cheapest part although the labor is over $200 due to the location of the sensor under the intake! Poor design for a part that may need replaced at some point. If the sensor doesn't work then what? Any and all suggestions would be appreciated as I have a trip planned for Sedona in early January. Thank you
    2012 JKU

Have you pulled the oil filter yet to look at it and the bypass value in the housing? The plastic bypass valve can break off and cause this problem. If it's not lack of oil, clogged filter or broken bypass, then oil cooler/ filter housing which also has the pressure sensor on it is next. After the cooler, oil pump is next for P06DD. The oil cooler can be done with basic tools in a day, change your plugs while you're there. If you can read your actual running oil pressure, this would be helpful to troubleshoot a bad oil pump. In the 2500 RPM range, oil press about 62 PSI. 4000 range, around 80 PSI. If the pressure doesn't jump up every time it could be your two stage oil pump. Let us know what you find!
    HAPPYTRAILS

Knows a Thing or Two RESURECTIONJK's Avatar
    ^^^this^^^ I first had this same issue earlier this year and for me it was the sensor. Good luck with the gremlin. Keep us posted.

My mechanic suggested replacing just the oil pressure sensor. Do you guys suggest doing the entire filter assembly since heís already in there? And since that replaces the sensor and pressure switch.
    If I decide to do myself how technical is it? Iím nervous about fuel lines and intake gaskets. Thanks for the help.
    2012 JKU

Quote Originally Posted by jscribn1 View Post
    My mechanic suggested replacing just the oil pressure sensor. Do you guys suggest doing the entire filter assembly since heís already in there? And since that replaces the sensor and pressure switch.
    If I decide to do myself how technical is it? Iím nervous about fuel lines and intake gaskets. Thanks for the help.
    I would just replace the entire unit since youíre in there. Also as mentioned above, get the gaskets for the intake and do your spark plugs. You have to pull the intake to do the plugs down the road anyway.

What about DIY? Iím fairly mechanically inclined or should I leave this one to a professional ?
    2012 JKU

What about DIY? Iím fairly mechanically inclined or should I leave this one to a professional ?
    Itís really not bad. There is a great write up on here about it that was posted not too long ago. I would follow that to the letter and youíll be fine. Just make sure youíve got all your parts before hand and take your time.

I found the write up. Itís really detailed, thank you. I got a flashlight and got a good look under the intake and thereís no oil in the valley so I donít think itís leaking. Iím still uneasy about doing it myself, nervous about the intake with gaskets etc.... Iíve never tackled a repair like this and donít want to tear it apart and have to take it in. Iím sure that would cost me even more. Thanks for all the help and advice. Just not sure which way Iím gonna go yet.
    2012 JKU

I found the write up. Itís really detailed, thank you. I got a flashlight and got a good look under the intake and thereís no oil in the valley so I donít think itís leaking. Iím still uneasy about doing it myself, nervous about the intake with gaskets etc.... Iíve never tackled a repair like this and donít want to tear it apart and have to take it in. Iím sure that would cost me even more. Thanks for all the help and advice. Just not sure which way Iím gonna go yet.
    When in doubt take it in. Letís the dealership handle it so at least youíll know its spot on. Yeah it will cost a bit more, but piece of mind is worth a few extra bucks. Iíd call around and see who has the best labor rates. Doesnít have to be a dealer, just make sure they know jeeps and have a good reputation. Good luck!

I think I'm just going to take it and have it diagnosed and repaired. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find and repair. Thanks for the advice
    2012 JKU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast