Last rebuild...

deantac

Well we all know that's not true....but this should do for a long time..... V8 is in the plans this spring...old school Mopar small block I think.

This is what I started with. It worked really well off road and had a hard time deciding to change it. I had it dialed in great.

2005 LJ 4.0 6sp manual...Atlas 4.3 to Solid Axle Ind. HP60 ARB 5:13 RP rear...Dynatrac Prorock 60 front. 5:13 ARB Nth degree suspension, .mostly...3.5" Metal Cloak springs with a 1/2 " spacer. Stinger rear.

20170517_142830.jpg
20140412_093721.jpg
20140412_093739.jpg

Last edited:

LAJK

Well we all know that's not true....but this should do for a long time..... V8 is in the plans this spring...old school Mopar small block I think.

This is what I started with. It worked really well off road and had a hard time deciding to change it. I had it dialed in great.

2005 LJ 4.0 6sp manual...Atlas 4.3 to Solid Axle Ind. HP60 ARB 5:13 RP rear...Dynatrac Prorock 60 front. 5:13 ARB Nth degree suspension, .mostly...3.5" Metal Cloak springs with a 1/2 " spacer. Stinger rear.

View attachment 315512
View attachment 315513
View attachment 315514

Can’t wait to see what you have in store for this! Can’t beat a nicely built Lj

deantac

One of the changes I wanted to make was switching to a auto trans. the most recent wife :D has trouble using a clutch, she broke her lower leg and had a rod in it until about a month ago.... (long story it has been a bad year for her)

I was tired of shifting and wanted to go back to a auto....having her able to drive is a benefit in so many ways, so that was the first thing I swapped.

My 4.0 with 1 tons and 4d's was... is a turd. Only used overdrive down hill. My Jeep is a 2005 so trans swaps is very limited, CPS was a real problem, jeep changed the sensor signal on 05 and 06

So after a bunch of research the best choice for ME was 32rh. bolted right in.... no adapters need for motor or transfer case. I moved the CPS to the harmonic balancer,

I had Mike of Mikes Transmission in Lancaster CA rebuild it, I knew mike from drag racing days and his trans kick ass. It's pretty much a street and strip deal with some changes better suited for off road.

Here it is ready to install...you can see the moved air vent on top of the trans, I cleaned up the atlas, new gaskets and added flanges. I always had a oil puking problem out the vent...so I moved the vent. plugged off the stock one and ordered some fitting to redo the site tube, not sure if it will work but it has to be better, you can see how I added the fittings in the pic.

First gear: 2.74 Second gear: 1.54 Third gear: 1.00 add that to a 4.3 low atlas = 11.78 x 5:38 R/P = 63.5 low range auto ! :nuts: I don't know if others drive like this ...but I like to have really low gears so I can drive through technical stuff by just riding the brakes, buy using brake pressure to modulate the speed and not having to worry about stalling. I think that's common, just hate to keep my foot on the gas all the time, when the trail speeds up you can pull your feet off... it's nice to relax the feet as you drive...I have feet problems from my job.

IMG_0514.jpg

Here is the CPS I moved to the balancer...

IMG_0136.jpg

Also added a tranny cooler next to the power steering cooler.

IMG_0135.jpg

Last edited:

deantac

Next was the fuel tank ... I think it adds 5 gals. Must have outboard shocks to use this tank as it goes from inside the frame on both sides, and exhaust must stop before the axle too.

You can see how I rearranged the fuel vapor pump and eliminated the charcoal canister....no codes thrown.

IMG_0656.jpg
IMG_0657.jpg

deantac

Now the body mounts....I cut the factory ones off and welded the higher designed ones on, with new rubber. I had a crunched one under the driver seat so this is a nice repair, actually they all had some bent damage.

IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0690.jpg

deantac

I don't have pics of the interior when I swapped it over to auto....I used stock factory parts only had to modify the trans tunnel cover/shifter mount, the 05 manual is obviously not the same as a 2001 auto. I bought 2001 parts for the swap. I cut the center out of the 05 and welded in the 01 cover, It worked good. Modified the mount so my 05 console bolted in like stock, looks factory and most will never realize it's been changed.

At this time I also pulled the clutch pedal assembly out, switched to a auto brake pedal one. Manuals have a clutch safety switch... I by passed it easily, all I did was plug a fuse in the wire connector to act as a jumper. It worked, so I still need to make it permanent. It allows me to start the Jeep in gear which I wanted.

I added a switch to the console to lock and unlock the torque converter.....

Also I used AN swivel fittings at the trans and ran hose to the cooler up front.... by passing the radiator....swivels allowed me to keep it tight and away from the drive shaft and not kink or bind.

I think that catches me up.

deantac

Now it was time to start on the body armor, I can't believe how many holes I had to drill for all of it and the nutserts.... the unholy nutserts ! before I paint this Jeep I'm going to adjust the panels more...shims and use my 3lb hammer. LOL

The fuel filler hole I drilled will come back to haunt me, this was a four inch stretch and at the time I thought that was enough.... I ended up with 7-8 inch on the rear.

Mounted the rest of the panels and the boat side rockers....did half doors also. One of the things I wanted to do was shed as much weight up high as I could with in reason. no more hard top and full doors. I will also be doing a very light weight chromo cage.

IMG_0692.jpg
IMG_0695.jpg
IMG_0771.jpg

deantac

Bought a glass hood as mine had a crease across the hood when a dust devil slammed it against the windshield frame when I was working on the jeep. mounted that with some good latches.
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0791.jpg
IMG_0789.jpg
IMG_0782.jpg

deantac

Here is my steering box I swapped in before this build....I pulled out the 05 Mercedes box and went to a 2002 down box, easy swap only need to move one bolt hole. and the fabricated steering arm I run.

IMG_0137.jpg

Top Bottom