Hydro Assist

How necessary is hydro assist? I’ve got 37s wrapped on ATX slabs and my power steering pump is starting the notorious whine. I can get a new power steering pump for around $200 or do I need to bite the bullet and do a hydro assist system? Would a basic pump get me by for another year or so? I have a Moab trip coming up in 2019 but $1000+ for hydro assist isn’t the fiscal option for me at the moment.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Depending on how much time you spend on the rocks I would highly recommend it. If it was a city jeep on 37s that would be a different story. I made sure to plan my jump to 37s for around the same time as my hydro assist. I ran without for only a couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Brute

Hooked
I ran 37's on Brute for a couple years without hydro assist...but I just put it on when I went to 40's...

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I haven’t run hydro on mine. It would be nice but it has some downsides to it. I have most of the parts for it just haven’t put it in yet. (That’s what she said)

TND333

I have 37s and hydro assist is the only way to go for playing in the rocks. It’s one of those upgrades you kick yourself for because you didn’t do it sooner.

Ddays

Hooked
You should be ok to run Moab without hydro. Rocky trails with tight obstacles is where hydro really shines.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Haha....that joke truly never gets old. What are the cons of hydro assist?

Expense, for one.

One more thing to fail. I have blown a hydro line in the trail. Spewed fluid all over the place, included the exhaust manifold. Lucky there wasn’t a fire.

Also you will need to upgrade your tie rod. I bent my stock one because of hydro assist.

Exodus 4x4

I tell most people that if they’re replacing the pump, then you might as well get a PSC pump.

Like Overlander said, hydro assist is nice but it does open the door to a whole other set of issues, mostly leaks. Hoses rub shit and have a tendency to work themselves loose at the fittings causing small leaks. On a stock axle, real estate is tight already so adding the ram (haha) only makes it tighter.

Wheeling Moab without it is a PITA, at least in my opinion. You may find yourself in some situations that are already uncomfortable to be in, only to have to 3 point turn it as well.

In my opinion, you’re going to end up with it anyways so you might as well do it now. Sure it can have its little quirks but overall, it is better to have it than not.

I tell most people that if they’re replacing the pump, then you might as well get a PSC pump.

Like Overlander said, hydro assist is nice but it does open the door to a whole other set of issues, mostly leaks. Hoses rub shit and have a tendency to work themselves loose at the fittings causing small leaks. On a stock axle, real estate is tight already so adding the ram (haha) only makes it tighter.

Wheeling Moab without it is a PITA, at least in my opinion. You may find yourself in some situations that are already uncomfortable to be in, only to have to 3 point turn it as well.

In my opinion, you’re going to end up with it anyways so you might as well do it now. Sure it can have its little quirks but overall, it is better to have it than not.

Would it be beneficial to get a PSC pump over a stock replacement and not do hydro assist. Then could always do the assist later?

wjtstudios

Hooked
A step in the right direction would be to order a ported PSC big bore XDll. That way you are not wasting money on another OEM box that you are going to trash, you have the box ported and ready when ever you decide to add the ram, and you have a box that will turn 37s thru most obstacles without much issue. I’ve been very happy with mine turning 37s on rocks and buried in the sand. You will need to upgrade your OEM drag link though. All that extra force will bend it from the XDll. You also have the added benefit of the selector shaft being twice as thick and won’t shear nearly as easily as the OEM would.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I wouldn't waste my money on a stock pump personally. I believe when I went through a couple pumps in a short time I heard the stock pumps use plastic vanes which is why they are prone to failure.

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
First, I love hydro. I went to it about 8-9 months after going to 37's and am so happy I did. If you play in the rocks on 37's you won't be disappointed.

One thing I'm sure you've already checked about the Whine... all the hoses and fittings are tight on the stock system??? A little bit of a loose hose can when you are accelerating induce air into the system causing a whine without having a leak.

Ajkaz

I added a WTO Redneck Ram to my 2 Door, I was more worried about breaking the sector shaft out at the Hammers or on a remote trail. Install took 1 full day and is pretty straight forward. I was $600 all in, used the stock pump that had about 90k miles on it and its still holding up fine. Steers a little slow at idle, otherwise its great. If my pump was starting to go, I'd look at a PSC pump to replace it to reduce the lag at idle.

Thanks, all great info. I may have misdiagnosed. Smelled something burning when headed to get the alignment done after replacing trackbar and tie rod end. Pulled over and the alternator is toast...was starting to melt things and smoke so unplug it and waiting on a tow. I’ll get the alternator on and see if that was my whine and while I’m in there I can see if their is any signs of leaks at the PS pump

zimm

Caught the Bug
Another vote for hydro. It's the best mod I've done to the jeep. Not being able to turn a wheel when a spotter is telling you "driver! driver!" sucks. Then my buddy broke his sector shaft causing us an night long nightmare because he was cranking on the wheel without hydro. It's also nice just towing my camper on the highway, no feedback pulling the wheel from my hands.

Oh, and budget more like $2500, not $1000 to do it right. That's not including labor.

Another vote for hydro. It's the best mod I've done to the jeep. Not being able to turn a wheel when a spotter is telling you "driver! driver!" sucks. Then my buddy broke his sector shaft causing us an night long nightmare because he was cranking on the wheel without hydro. It's also nice just towing my camper on the highway, no feedback pulling the wheel from my hands.

Oh, and budget more like $2500, not $1000 to do it right. That's not including labor.

Thanks, it’s a mod I want in the future for sure when I can budget for it

A step in the right direction would be to order a ported PSC big bore XDll. That way you are not wasting money on another OEM box that you are going to trash, you have the box ported and ready when ever you decide to add the ram, and you have a box that will turn 37s thru most obstacles without much issue. I’ve been very happy with mine turning 37s on rocks and buried in the sand. You will need to upgrade your OEM drag link though. All that extra force will bend it from the XDll. You also have the added benefit of the selector shaft being twice as thick and won’t shear nearly as easily as the OEM would.

So I have a similar issue. I’m just going to 37s this week and the OEM steering setup I’m running now is feeling shakey. The existing box has some play in it. When you rotate the steering wheel back and forth you can feel some play and a small shock load through the frame. It’s time to do something but I just sprung for wheels and tires. If I go for the full assist my kids will get coal in their stockings this Christmas. Does it makes sense to do the XDII now with the pump and cooler (I have the PSC frame already for my tranny cooler) and see how that works out. I’m heading to the Winter Jamboree in Jan and Moab this Spring so want to get it right without breaking the bank. Any thoughts appreciated.

Top Bottom