Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydro Assist

Fresh Catch

Hydro Assist

How necessary is hydro assist? Iíve got 37s wrapped on ATX slabs and my power steering pump is starting the notorious whine. I can get a new power steering pump for around $200 or do I need to bite the bullet and do a hydro assist system? Would a basic pump get me by for another year or so? I have a Moab trip coming up in 2019 but $1000+ for hydro assist isnít the fiscal option for me at the moment.

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Depending on how much time you spend on the rocks I would highly recommend it. If it was a city jeep on 37s that would be a different story. I made sure to plan my jump to 37s for around the same time as my hydro assist. I ran without for only a couple of months.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I ran 37's on Brute for a couple years without hydro assist...but I just put it on when I went to 40's...

I havenít run hydro on mine. It would be nice but it has some downsides to it. I have most of the parts for it just havenít put it in yet. (Thatís what she said)

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Jeep Wrangler

I have 37s and hydro assist is the only way to go for playing in the rocks. Itís one of those upgrades you kick yourself for because you didnít do it sooner.

You should be ok to run Moab without hydro. Rocky trails with tight obstacles is where hydro really shines.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    I havenít run hydro on mine. It would be nice but it has some downsides to it. I have most of the parts for it just havenít put it in yet. (Thatís what she said)

Haha....that joke truly never gets old. What are the cons of hydro assist?

Quote Originally Posted by TxCrushinJKUR View Post
    Expense....and leaks

Quote Originally Posted by TxCrushinJKUR View Post
    Expense, for one.

One more thing to fail. I have blown a hydro line in the trail. Spewed fluid all over the place, included the exhaust manifold. Lucky there wasnít a fire.

Also you will need to upgrade your tie rod. I bent my stock one because of hydro assist.

I tell most people that if theyíre replacing the pump, then you might as well get a PSC pump.

Like Overlander said, hydro assist is nice but it does open the door to a whole other set of issues, mostly leaks. Hoses rub shit and have a tendency to work themselves loose at the fittings causing small leaks. On a stock axle, real estate is tight already so adding the ram (haha) only makes it tighter.

Wheeling Moab without it is a PITA, at least in my opinion. You may find yourself in some situations that are already uncomfortable to be in, only to have to 3 point turn it as well.

In my opinion, youíre going to end up with it anyways so you might as well do it now. Sure it can have its little quirks but overall, it is better to have it than not.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast