Where Will Your Final Resting Place Be?

Brute

Hooked
While watching President George H W Bush's funeral procession with my wife, we began to discuss our own ideas of how we are going to handle our final resting place. Many will think that this is a morbid subject, and I'm sure there are quite a few on this forum who are of such a young age that this notion would be far from their minds...but those of us who are not spring chickens should have some idea how their last wishes are to be honored.

For myself, I have changed my mind on where my final resting place will be. My wife and I both agree to be cremated. Originally I wanted my ashes scattered on the reef off Hawaii Kai where both my sister and myself learned to dive back in the 70's, and where my stepfather's and mom's ashes were scattered. I think now I may want my ashes scattered over various trails from a Jeep...

But most likely I will be eaten by a bear in Russia or Alaska after yelling at it when it pounced on my 30" rainbow...

jesse3638

Hooked
I think one of the most insightful things I heard was from a friends 12 year old son. He asked that if for some reason he died he did not want to be buried, but to be cremated. That way if his parents moved he would not be left behind.

I want to be cremated and have a little bit of me scattered where ever my surviving members of my family want to take me. I'm always up for an adventure and exploring that's why I have the Jeep.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Cremated, no pomp and circumstance. My family can do as they see fit with my ashes except hold on to them in an urn or something like that. We have the ashes of about nine different deceased pets in little different wood boxes in a cabinet in our garage. It is a running joke with my wife that I do not want to end up on a shelf next to the cats and dogs. :crazyeyes:

Ddays

Hooked
Ironically, my wife and I had this discussion last week. We're both for cremation.

I really, really, really do not like the traditional funerals. Besides being ridiculously expensive (name me one guy on this site that wouldn't rather spend $15k on their Jeep instead of a coffin?), I find them much too morbid and sad. Honestly they still give me the willies to this day. The memorial services with the cremation already performed are much easier to attend and makes it easier to celebrate the persons life with others without having a dead body in the corner.

Funny cremation story: My Aunts boyfriend passed away and wanted his ashed scattered in Lake Erie. As my Aunt was making her way to the car to drive there she tripped on the sidewalk and dropped the urn, which broke and scattered his ashes all over the sidewalk and lawn in front of her house. She went and pulled the hose from the porch and washed the ashes down into the storm drain on the curb! Her reasoning was the storm drain emptied into the lake, so he'll get there eventually! :shock: :cheesy:

Too be honest I don’t think anyone is too young to think about this kind of stuff. We are all living our last day, death just forgets to collect every night and we end up getting another crack at it, but eventually our number is up. I’m opting for cremation and I’d like a little of me to be left in all the places where we created the best memories. Weather that’s in the Jeep on a trail or wherever.

Brute

Hooked
Cremated, no pomp and circumstance. My family can do as they see fit with my ashes except hold on to them in an urn or something like that. We have the ashes of about nine different deceased pets in little different wood boxes in a cabinet in our garage. It is a running joke with my wife that I do not want to end up on a shelf next to the cats and dogs. :crazyeyes:

Pet Semetary?...are the kids afraid to go into the garage at night?

Brute

Hooked
Ironically, my wife and I had this discussion last week. We're both for cremation.

I really, really, really do not like the traditional funerals. Besides being ridiculously expensive (name me one guy on this site that wouldn't rather spend $15k on their Jeep instead of a coffin?), I find them much too morbid and sad. Honestly they still give me the willies to this day. The memorial services with the cremation already performed are much easier to attend and makes it easier to celebrate the persons life with others without having a dead body in the corner.

Funny cremation story: My Aunts boyfriend passed away and wanted his ashed scattered in Lake Erie. As my Aunt was making her way to the car to drive there she tripped on the sidewalk and dropped the urn, which broke and scattered his ashes all over the sidewalk and lawn in front of her house. She went and pulled the hose from the porch and washed the ashes down into the storm drain on the curb! Her reasoning was the storm drain emptied into the lake, so he'll get there eventually! :shock: :cheesy:

I told my sister that I had better die first...otherwise we may dump her ashes into a toilet in Hawaii Kai...it would make that reef in about 4 days..

Ddays

Hooked
I told my sister that I had better die first...otherwise we may dump her ashes into a toilet in Hawaii Kai...it would make that reef in about 4 days..

Hahaha, I told my wife I'm ok with anywhere other than a toilet!

TrailHunter

Hooked
My good buddy was just put to rest in Maui... His wife rented boats and those Hawaiian paddle boats ... Family and friends gathered for a celebration... they threw out flowers and ashes... I couldnt make it, but it looked beautiful. The family also spread some ashes on a South bay beach and there is a head stone at a local cemetery here... I think its’s really cool that there is a physical place for his kids, wife, family, friends to visit and leave flowers, a beer, and say hello.

So I’d like the same; cremated with a head stone... I have no problem leaving locations up to my kids... whatever is important to them.. after all, I’ll be dead.. so I wont care.

jesse3638

Hooked

I still have my mom's ashes i need to spread. She is probably pissed that I haven't yet. She always said "Go somewhere at night and don't tell anyone or get permits to spread my ashes. I want to go out breaking the law!"...haha

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I'm not sure where I want to go, my family has plots already bought or should I say my Grandpa bought plots for everyone and I have a huge family so I'm assuming I'll end up there, whether I'm cremated or put in a casket will be determined on how I go out I guess LOL

(Side note)-I do like to play with fire and fireworks. Not in that arsonist type of way where I like to burn buildings and such things....just in the way of a damn good bonfire and blowing stuff up for fun with fireworks.

So if I go out that way, which I can't really think of a worse way to go then burning alive... Brightside is I guess I'll save the cremation fee LOL

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I still have my mom's ashes i need to spread. She is probably pissed that I haven't yet. She always said "Go somewhere at night and don't tell anyone or get permits to spread my ashes. I want to go out breaking the law!"...haha
That's awesome! Your mom sounded cool... Sorry for your loss

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom