New Noise

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
I finally replaced the front driveline and removed the exhaust spacers. Y pipe was rattling against the transfer case skid. Now that noise is gone I'm hearing a "clunk" from the right rear. It happens over bumps, but I can also hear it accelerating from a stop sign, or when I brake. CA bushings seem good, all bolts are torqued, CAs have no movement.
The front springs have a groove to sit in, but not the rear. Could the spring be sitting wrong, and needs to be spun a bit?

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_110900.jpg
    IMG_20181205_110900.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 152

KeroJK

Your spring is sitting fine, no groove for those to sit in. I just got rid of my clunk in that area. Believe it or not it was my aftermarket tail light harness being too long and hitting the tub with movement. Also, check your exhaust heat shield above the muffler. Could be loose and hitting the muffler.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jsouder53

Hooked
I’ve just recently started noticing that same kind of sound! I at first thought it was some ice build up between the body and my roof rack mount, turned out it wasn’t... I’ll have to check on the muffler heat shield

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
I've replaced the stock muffler with a small dynomax freeflow one. There's no way the heatshield can touch it, also the heatshield is very secure. I've always assumed the CA joints are ok to sit a little sideways in the mounts. It's difficult to see how much of an angel it's on from this picture, but wondering if it's getting hung up somehow, but again, the nut is tight and there's no play either on the ground or on jacks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181205_110930.jpg
    IMG_20181205_110930.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 122

KeroJK

Yup x2 on this, id even check your stock one in case.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WJCO

Meme King
Have you tried bouncing it in your driveway by hand and see if you can make the noise occur that way? Or have someone else take off quickly from your driveway while you stand outside and listen near that area to at least get a better idea if it's coming from body, chassis, etc.

jsukey

I know you said right rear, but did you by chance check your driveshaft u-joints? You could have one failing, even if it feels tight. I've experienced a clunk like you describe before and found that there was a blockage in one of the grease passages inside the u-joint. The blockage allowed the needle bearings in that one ear to run dry and destroy themselves. It still felt tight though!

The BAD Influence

Caught the Bug
I know you said right rear, but did you by chance check your driveshaft u-joints? You could have one failing, even if it feels tight. I've experienced a clunk like you describe before and found that there was a blockage in one of the grease passages inside the u-joint. The blockage allowed the needle bearings in that one ear to run dry and destroy themselves. It still felt tight though!

Well the front driveline is brand new, it was greased and installed a couple weeks ago. I can't say for sure if the sound was there all along or after, because of the constant vibration and rattle the exhaust cross pipe was making with the cross member. We've also got an LoD rear bumper with tire carrier that occasionally needs readjustment. I've gone completely through that, and nothing. I've jumped up and down on both bumpers and not been able to reproduce the clunk. I had my daughter slowly drive back and forth out of the driveway. As the rear drops off or comes back up the little curb I can hear the noise, and I swear it's coming from the right rear CAs, and more specifically the upper. I'm thinking I may just have to remove it and give the bushing a good inspection, or maybe even just replace the bushing while it's out.
I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Oh, not running aftermarket tail lights, so I haven't taken the stock ones off to look around inside, also the sound is clearly coming from lower on the vehicle.

zimm

Caught the Bug
How about those rear sway bar links? I put mine on the insides of the mounts. Yours looks pretty out of whack and are probably hitting.

Maybe try removing them and test drive.

View attachment 316392

Last edited:

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Have you tried bouncing it in your driveway by hand and see if you can make the noise occur that way? Or have someone else take off quickly from your driveway while you stand outside and listen near that area to at least get a better idea if it's coming from body, chassis, etc.

^^^^ this. Get someone else to flex the suspension and jump on the bumper while you lay underneath. Walk beside while they start and stop forward and reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Yes. And funny, that's the first thing I checked. We do have the rubber things in them to deaden the clunking. They do obviously bounce around, but not the sound I'm chasing.

Hmm well it was worth a shot. Factory jack and tire iron secure? Track bar bolts tight? I guess you could just drive it until it gets worse. Lol!

I had managed to install a bumpstop extension backwards and had similar clunks occurring. Was angled the wrong way so the bolt above was smacking down on it instead of the pad. Yours look pretty worn in tho and it’s very jarring when it happens so imagine you’d have noticed sooner.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I found that I have ice build up between the body and my rock rails also ice between the body and my rear bumper, that was causing the noise.

Top Bottom