Mounting Beadlocks?? Need some help

I’m struggling getting the tire over the rim to get started. I’m trying to install new Cooper 37x 13.5 x 17 STT Pros onto new KMC 232 17 x 9 wheels. Can’t even get to first base. I’ve tried Eddie’s method of jumping/standing on the wheel to get it to go down inside the tire. Doesn’t look like it’s close to going in. I’ve tried Mel’s method of slamming the wheel in, I need about 20 more years of experience for that to work. Even tried putting the wheel on the ground and jumping on the tire on all fours, (glad there were no cameras). It’s hard to admit but I’m getting too old for these methods. Has anybody come up with a way to use a jack or high lift to gently force the tire over the wheel? I don’t have the guy from the JLX video to help.
I’ve beat on it for a few hours now and no joy. It’s time for age and guile to win the day. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
I’ve done pretty much all the work on my Jeep, including axle gear changes. But mounting and balancing tires on bead locks was something I happily paid a shop to do.

I’ve done pretty much all the work on my Jeep, including axle gear changes. But mounting and balancing tires on bead locks was something I happily paid a shop to do.

I couldn't find a shop around here that would touch them. Well Big O Tire said they'd do it but they weren't sure what a beadlock was. I said no thanks.

Ddays

Hooked
These Coopers are son of a bitch to get over the first bead. They're nothing like Mels video showing him basically throwing them onto the wheel. Those were Nitto Trail Graps and they must have softer sidewalls than the Coops. You're probably doing everything correctly, just that the sidewalls on these are really stiff and the beads are pretty unforgiving. They'll go, just have to keep after it.

Once you get them onto the wheels, make sure that the rings seat fully onto the wheel. There shouldn't be any gap. You'll swear that they'll never ever seat, but you have to keep chasing the bolts in a circle with your torque wrench til they do. Make sure you spray that lube liberally onto the beads where the tire is clamped to the wheel - it'll help squeezing the two together.

These Coopers are son of a bitch to get over the first bead. They're nothing like Mels video showing him basically throwing them onto the wheel. Those were Nitto Trail Graps and they must have softer sidewalls than the Coops. You're probably doing everything correctly, just that the sidewalls on these are really stiff and the beads are pretty unforgiving. They'll go, just have to keep after it
Make sure you spray that lube liberally onto the beads where the tire is clamped to the wheel - it'll help squeezing the two together.

Thanks partner. I’ll keep after it. Those sidewalls are seriously thick and stiff. (I know, don’t say it)

I’ll go find the biggest SOB I can find and try again.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you can't get your hands on some Ruglide, try using some liquid laundry detergent. Also, you want to make sure that you don't get one side of the wheel all the way in - you want as much of the middle part of the wheel up against the bead as possible. Does that make sense? From there, standing on the wheel and stomping on the edge that needs to go in repeatedly should do the trick.

If you can't get your hands on some Ruglide, try using some liquid laundry detergent. Also, you want to make sure that you don't get one side of the wheel all the way in - you want as much of the middle part of the wheel up against the bead as possible. Does that make sense? From there, standing on the wheel and stomping on the edge that needs to go in repeatedly should do the trick.

Yep, makes sense, you want the narrowest part of the wheel inside the lip. I'll give it another shot tomorrow with some Ruglide and I'll get a bigger more agile dude to do the jumping. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, makes sense, you want the narrowest part of the wheel inside the lip. I'll give it another shot tomorrow with some Ruglide and I'll get a bigger more agile dude to do the jumping. I appreciate all the help.

Thanks!

So that it's clear, you do not want to "jump" on it. What you want is to "stomp" on it as in, sudden hits with the heel of your foot. Essentially, you want to use your foot like a hammer.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Steve, how big of a hurry are you to get them done? I am tied up until Monday, but I could help you out Monday after work. It is a bit of work to get them in the tire and even more work to get the lip seated for the ring. The Coops fit a lot tighter than the Nittos I had. Let me know.

Top Bottom