K & N Maintenance

How often is everyone cleaning their K & N Filters? I've got 87K on my jeep and never cleaned it. I did a quick search on the internet and K & N recommends every 50K.

WJCO

Meme King
How often is everyone cleaning their K & N Filters? I've got 87K on my jeep and never cleaned it. I did a quick search on the internet and K & N recommends every 50K.

I've owned many vehicles with them and clean them every year no matter what. Other than my Jeep, all of these other vehicles were on pavement pretty much all the time with the exception of a truck that was in the desert on and off when I lived in Arizona.

On my current Jeep which sees pretty much trail time only, I clean it twice a year. In the Spring and in the Fall just to be safe. I can't comment on exact mileage because I don't keep track of that for my air filter cleanings. I just do it by time.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I removed the K&N that I used to run and started running a factory air box and filter again. There's no better way to ruin your Jeep's engine than to run a filter like a K&N especially if you wheel in dusty areas.

I removed the K&N that I used to run and started running a factory air box and filter again. There's no better way to ruin your Jeep's engine than to run a filter like a K&N especially if you wheel in dusty areas.

How often are you suppose to replace the factory filter?

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

This is for sure. I saw a trace of dust on the downstream side of the filter after putting a k&N in mine when I got it in 2010 and then promptly removed it and went back to stock.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
How often are you suppose to replace the factory filter?

Per the owners manual air filter maintenance schedules are as follows:

2007-2011 (3.8L): Inspect every 15K and replace if necessary or replace every 30K.

2012-2018 (3.6L): Inspect every 16K and replace if ncessary or replace every 32K.

I have a 2012 and change my oil every 4k as opposed to the recommended 8K simply because its 1-2 changes a year. I inspect my air filter every 4k and replace it about every 8-12K just due to dusty conditions. However one trip (50-100 miles) in fine silt can clog it up pretty bad requiring it to be replaced. I replaced my last one after about 8K. $25 bucks once a year is a small price to pay to keep the 3.6L happy.

Last edited:

wjtstudios

Hooked
So much depends on your set up, time and location.

I run a pre-filter on a snorkel and my K&N is barely ever dirty even after running a ton of dirt/dusty roads behind other cars or jeeps. I still clean and oil it twice a year and I’ve never seen any sign of dust or debris beyond the filter. But the pre-Filter blows a ton of the dust and dirt out. I drive about 20-25k per year on my Jeep.

Top Bottom