2017 jku winter ed and 12k smitty winch in bumper

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I have a 2017 jku winter edition. I want to fit a 12k lb smittybilt with synthetic line into the bumper. Has anyone done this? What winch plate did you use? Any technical issues with install?

Thanks in advance!
Jon

Attachments

• 20181205_174913.jpg
    20181205_174913.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 195

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
It’s an AEV Bumper so you may have to use their Winch plate. I don’t think it’s too expensive. I can’t speak to a 12k but I had a 10k in mine no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
It’s an AEV Bumper so you may have to use their Winch plate. I don’t think it’s too expensive. I can’t speak to a 12k but I had a 10k in mine no problem.

Awesome, thank you! I'll reach out to them. You have a smitty also? I believe the 10 and 12k lb are the same form factor.

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Actually i cant find an email to ask a question on their website. so may have to call them.

If anyone has direct knowledge let me!

wjtstudios

Hooked

Eloucha

Actually i cant find an email to ask a question on their website. so may have to call them.

If anyone has direct knowledge let me!

Go on u tube and u find how to install it step by step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primo82

Caught the Bug
So i spoke with aev. Their mount plate for this bumper is $285 (exorbitant!) and is only rated for 10k lbs. Neither are acceptable in my book. It's not even really the money, imho. It's more the fact i can buy an entirely new bumper with a built in mountfor that price. And 10k lbs is unacceptably low load rating.

Does anyone else have experience with internal mount plates (non-aev) on this bumper? There are so many configurations out there I'm just trying to find something that will work with my setup without too much of a headache...

WJCO

Meme King
So i spoke with aev. Their mount plate for this bumper is $285 (exorbitant!) and is only rated for 10k lbs. Neither are acceptable in my book. It's not even really the money, imho. It's more the fact i can buy an entirely new bumper with a built in mountfor that price. And 10k lbs is unacceptably low load rating.

Does anyone else have experience with internal mount plates (non-aev) on this bumper? There are so many configurations out there I'm just trying to find something that will work with my setup without too much of a headache...

Try this thread: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...Plate-and-Zeon-10S-install-on-10A-X-HR-Bumper

Not sure if it will work, but might give you some ideas.

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug

I would pull up the instructions for AEV Part #: 10305060AB and see if there are any obvious reasons it would not work with your bumper. It's $145 at qtec.

10k is not a low rating for JKs. I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the folks on here ran anything bigger than a 10k winch on a JKU.

You "can" buy another bumper with a winch plate for $285 but you'd be looking at some chinese POS, IMO.

Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I would pull up the instructions for AEV Part #: 10305060AB and see if there are any obvious reasons it would not work with your bumper. It's $145 at qtec.

10k is not a low rating for JKs. I'd be surprised if more than 1% of the folks on here ran anything bigger than a 10k winch on a JKU.

You "can" buy another bumper with a winch plate for $285 but you'd be looking at some chinese POS, IMO.

Try this thread: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php...Plate-and-Zeon-10S-install-on-10A-X-HR-Bumper

Not sure if it will work, but might give you some ideas.

Will check this out when i have time.

Primo82

Caught the Bug

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind. A friend said if the plate is almost 300 may as well buy a bumper.

I'll explain my "need" for a 12k lb winch. My gf is a terrible driver and owns the largest hybrid suv on the market. I live in the boonies in indiana and its winter time. She will be in a ravine by the end of winter, I'm guessing. I'd like to be qble to yank her out.

I also burn firewood for heat. It would be awesome to be able to pull some trees out of my woods instead of having to clear a spot to dropped trees.

Also cause why the f not?

I know i can use a block or other methods to reduce the pull force required by the winch. But I'm trying to make sure i have more than adequate winchability.

sipafz

Caught the Bug
Good to know. I'll keep that in mind. A friend said if the plate is almost 300 may as well buy a bumper.

I'll explain my "need" for a 12k lb winch. My gf is a terrible driver and owns the largest hybrid suv on the market. I live in the boonies in indiana and its winter time. She will be in a ravine by the end of winter, I'm guessing. I'd like to be qble to yank her out.

I also burn firewood for heat. It would be awesome to be able to pull some trees out of my woods instead of having to clear a spot to dropped trees.

Also cause why the f not?

I know i can use a block or other methods to reduce the pull force required by the winch. But I'm trying to make sure i have more than adequate winchability.

The winch plate is probably rated the same as the bumper. Use a snatch block like you mentioned or buy some 7” x 2” x 3/8” channel and build your own.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
The winch plate is probably rated the same as the bumper. Use a snatch block like you mentioned or buy some 7” x 2” x 3/8” channel and build your own.
Or maybe weld some reinforcement onto the plate?

Honestly with a snatch block it will never see 10k. Still need to check a link or two but may install the one for 10k and mount my winch. The 10-12k smittys have the same footprint.

From what i read the winch plate itself attaches to the frame. I may be wrong but if so the bumper rating shouldn't matter?

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
Or maybe weld some reinforcement onto the plate?

Honestly with a snatch block it will never see 10k. Still need to check a link or two but may install the one for 10k and mount my winch. The 10-12k smittys have the same footprint.

From what i read the winch plate itself attaches to the frame. I may be wrong but if so the bumper rating shouldn't matter?

It attaches to the frame on the bottom and the frame horn out front. This is the AEV Winch plate without the bumper.
IMG_9256.jpg

robx251

Caught the Bug
I’m sorry it the rough country bumper. You will need a relocation bracket for brake pump.

I have the same front bumper. I’d does say that you need the relocation bracket but with some fancy eyeballs and on my smittybuilt x20 10k winch you can get away with just flipping the bushings and I painted it black to prevent oxidation

2016 JK Rubicon
35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
2.5 budget boost
10k Winch/stubby bumper
Trucklites
TYT9800 / Pro510XL
KC1IMA

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Thanks for everyone's recommendations. I went with the plate aev recommended. 12k lb winch fit, but it was tight. The plate looks sturdy enough. Control box is running into grill, I'm going to have to relocate. But its there.. Assmebly sucked. And instructions were terrible. Took me about 11 hrs, first time dismantling bumper assembly. But theres an order it all had to go together to have just enough room to get the necessary tools. If i had to do again I'd pay a shop to install. But for anyone who wants a similar setup a smitty x20 12klb synthetic rope and stock jeep special edition aev bumper should work.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Ohh, and while the $285 aev winch plate for my stock aev bumper looks sturdy enough. And seems to have a good coating. 3 holes did not align with my bumper horn holes. And needed wallering to get a bolt through. Could be a jeep or aev defect tho.

Top Bottom