Old Jeep Winches

RageKage

With all the recent pics I’ve seen of you guys finding, restoring, and rebuilding the old jeep winches, I wish I would’ve known that was a thing. I would’ve taken better pics of the one on my CJ. Can’t tell you any of the details on it but after seeing the pics you guys are posting I realized I had one. Maybe any of you can chime in on model number and what not. Also would like to see more of the old winches you guys have found. If this is already a thread please merge, I couldn’t find one if it already exists.
IMG_8436.JPG
IMG_8437.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Definitely a warn 8274. I just bought one and am in the process of restoring it. I wish I had the orginial metal socket yours has on the control pack

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wjtstudios

Hooked
Great idea! I searched for awhile and finally found a Jeep Special Equipment warm 8274.

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

I plan on tearing this down this winter and bringing it back to new and safe working order. If anyone has some insight on rebuilding one of these, I’d love to hear the do’s and don’ts.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
Great idea! I searched for awhile and finally found a Jeep Special Equipment warm 8274.

View attachment 316018

View attachment 316019

I plan on tearing this down this winter and bringing it back to new and safe working order. If anyone has some insight on rebuilding one of these, I’d love to hear the do’s and don’ts.

Let me know if you have any questions. There are lots of videos out there. I just opened mine up tonight. The brake assembly can be a pain if it's rusted pretty badly.

RageKage

Definitely a warn 8274. I just bought one and am in the process of restoring it. I wish I had the orginial metal socket yours has on the control pack

I think your post was the one that made me realize I had one and then you were saying about the metal cover while yours had the plastic and that was the first thing that popped in my head was “hey my CJ winch has that metal cover he’s talking about” lol I definitely need to tear mine apart when I leave Alaska and pick up the CJ from my grandparents. I believe I burnt up the motor or blew some part of the electrical up cuz it wasn’t working for about a year before I put it in storage. I didn’t know there was such a following for them or I would’ve looked up parts and videos a long time ago. Thank you for giving me the eye opener!

pop2tu

I think your post was the one that made me realize I had one and then you were saying about the metal cover while yours had the plastic and that was the first thing that popped in my head was “hey my CJ winch has that metal cover he’s talking about” lol I definitely need to tear mine apart when I leave Alaska and pick up the CJ from my grandparents. I believe I burnt up the motor or blew some part of the electrical up cuz it wasn’t working for about a year before I put it in storage. I didn’t know there was such a following for them or I would’ve looked up parts and videos a long time ago. Thank you for giving me the eye opener!

You can still buy almost everything to rebuild them. I went online and found a certified Warn repair shop to get my parts from. Bought 2 different rebuild kits, 1 for the brake assembly, the other for the lower section. It cost about $65 for both. If your motor needs replacing you can still buy the original motor, or there are some places on the net that tell you how to put a bigger motor on it.

pop2tu

My metal socket was really rusty, tried to clean it up, looked worse. I went to Napa and picked up a 4 wire trailer connector. It’s they same exact plug only shiny.

MSJKU11

Caught the Bug
You can still buy almost everything to rebuild them. I went online and found a certified Warn repair shop to get my parts from. Bought 2 different rebuild kits, 1 for the brake assembly, the other for the lower section. It cost about $65 for both. If your motor needs replacing you can still buy the original motor, or there are some places on the net that tell you how to put a bigger motor on it.

Didn't think to search local parts stores for that cover. I'll check it out thanks. What online store did you get those for 65? I've been seeing them both for over 100.

Top Bottom