Three Week Road Trip across the US. California to Florida to Michigan. Need Advice

wibornz

I am flying out on Monday to Los Angeles California. My youngest son (25 years old) is moving to Japan for three years. He lives in just north of LA. He will pick me up at the LAX, and we are road tripping across the US for three weeks. He is going to leave his truck (F250 diesel 4x4) and some of his stuff at my house back in Michigan. I will store it for him while he is gone. He flies to Japan on Jan 2nd, 2019.

So we have from December 10th to December 28th to see what ever and go where ever. The only destination that we have as a solid is to be at Fayetteville North Carolina by Dec 23 for a family Christmas party. With that said, I have not spent much time in the southern part of the US, My son wants to go to Florida and scope out St. Augustine Fl. Other than that we planned on doing The Grand Canyon.

So we kinda have an open slate and time to do just about anything. I am looking for suggestions of must see things. So let me tap into the collective knowledge of Wayalife. We have a 4x4 but any trails would have to be doable in a big heavy 4dr diesel truck. We will have camping gear with us. We are up for hiking and just trying to see the beauty of the southern part of the US. Any must see cities, tourist spots, anything that is worth trying to see.

It is not often that a guy gets to spend three weeks traveling with his adult son so if you guys can help make it awesome......I would appreciate it for ever.

Big Thanks in Advance. Ted

Jsouder53

Hooked
I would have to say the smoky mountains area is beautiful, the Asheville North Carolina area. When my wife and I lived in Florida, we used to travel up there a bunch to camp.

Edit: Chattanooga Tennessee is a cool town

wibornz

I would have to say the smoky mountains area is beautiful, the Asheville North Carolina area. When my wife and I lived in Florida, we used to travel up there a bunch to camp.

Edit: Chattanooga Tennessee is a cool town

Argeed, Asheville is sweet. Been there as well a Chattanooga via motorcycle. Thanks for the reply.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Hit the Blue Ridge, Smokies, Rockies, Cascades. I got those. Hit the fort San Marcos in Augustine and the little known one Fort Mantanzas. Towns...Charleston, Savannah. I always try to find the local good eats and ask them what they are know for and try. Beaufort....for the she crab soup. Going through Colorado? The Paint Mines.

Brute

Hooked
If your heading through the south, and you haven't been, I would suggest New Orleans....

As others have said, Asheville is cool...I've been there.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Yup! Asheville is cool...Manitou Springs in CO. If you drive through Nebraska,,,don't stop. Well unless Northwest stop at High Plains Homestead for their Indian taco!

Jsouder53

Hooked
While you are down at St Augustine, go to Daytona Beach. You can drive out on the beach there, pretty cool I thought...

Last edited:

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Antelope Canyon and Sedona are not far from GC. Guadeloupe Mtn NP, Big Bend NP, Zion (and all the parks along Utah). Smokey Mtns, Shenandoah NP. A lot of cool things.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom