Armor fenders

Parks34

I know you guys are against cosmetic upgrades, but I wanna know your true opinion on armor fenders? Do you gain a lot of tire clearance/flex room? Is it enough to compensate for the cost? I would like some of y'all to speak from experience. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I know you guys are against cosmetic upgrades, but I wanna know your true opinion on armor fenders? Do you gain a lot of tire clearance/flex room? Is it enough to compensate for the cost? I would like some of y'all to speak from experience. Thanks in advance

People against cosmetic upgrades here? Guess I need to sell my 10a hood I added on for cosmetic reasons then.

As for armor fenders, people get them mainly for body protection but in reality they will actually cause more body damage if you hit an obstacle with them. Most people either run fenderless if they are in a state that allows it or cut the factory fenders for the clearance

WJCO

Meme King
Fuck, we'd have to sell my wife's entire Jeep. I might keep the Rock Hard skids though.

fiend

Caught the Bug

What kind of “armor fenders” are you talking about? I think all of them improve clearance for up travel with larger tires, but you can get that for free by trimming your stock plastic flares. Some people like the look of metal fenders and for them, that’s worth the cost. I like the look of the poison spider and nemesis flares, but I personally would not run metal fenders for a variety of reasons. Among them, they don’t really add much armor and can actually increase the chance of body damage by transferring force to the very thin body sheet metal. Plus, if the paint gets scratched, they will start rusting and look like shit.

74CJ5

What kind of “armor fenders” are you talking about? I think all of them improve clearance for up travel with larger tires, but you can get that for free by trimming your stock plastic flares. Some people like the look of metal fenders and for them, that’s worth the cost. I like the look of the poison spider and nemesis flares, but I personally would not run metal fenders for a variety of reasons. Among them, they don’t really add much armor and can actually increase the chance of body damage by transferring force to the very thin body sheet metal. Plus, if the paint gets scratched, they will start rusting and look like shit.

I love my Poison Spyder flares. More clearance, won’t fade like the stock ones and mine are aluminum so I’m not worrying about rust.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
I’ve seriously looked into the Nemesis flares. Much more clearance than stock. They are aluminum, so no rust. Talking to them, there are two options, with and without skeletos. Without, they will crush under load to minimize body damage. With, they distribute the load over a greater area to allow them to act as armor and drag on a rock or tree with out hurting the body.

Either way they look great, but plan on some repainting/replacing if you play hard.

TheGrendel

I’ve seriously looked into the Nemesis flares. Much more clearance than stock. They are aluminum, so no rust. Talking to them, there are two options, with and without skeletos. Without, they will crush under load to minimize body damage. With, they distribute the load over a greater area to allow them to act as armor and drag on a rock or tree with out hurting the body.

Either way they look great, but plan on some repainting/replacing if you play hard.

i really dislike most of Nemesis' stuff. but, they do have some of the best looking flares.

desertrunner

I think the biggest vote against armor flares are the fact that they are stronger than the sheet metal that they are attached to. So if you smack the fender your more likely to do body damage. In my opinion I would rather rip off the plastic flare than bend in my quarter pannel. But if your not really all that worried about hitting them alot I think they have a little bit better finished look rather than just cutting the stock plastic ones

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

JJ151

I think the biggest vote against armor flares are the fact that they are stronger than the sheet metal that they are attached to. So if you smack the fender your more likely to do body damage. In my opinion I would rather rip off the plastic flare than bend in my quarter pannel. But if your not really all that worried about hitting them alot I think they have a little bit better finished look rather than just cutting the stock plastic ones

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Don’t certain brands like PS and MC have brackets that transfer the impact load to the heavier duty substructure away from the outer sheet metal? Do these brackets really work or are they just marketing to sell product?

BaddestCross

Don’t certain brands like PS and MC have brackets that transfer the impact load to the heavier duty substructure away from the outer sheet metal? Do these brackets really work or are they just marketing to sell product?

Yes, which is why those would be one of the few I'd go with. Other brands just bolt to the outer skin.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Parks34

People against cosmetic upgrades here? Guess I need to sell my 10a hood I added on for cosmetic reasons then.

As for armor fenders, people get them mainly for body protection but in reality they will actually cause more body damage if you hit an obstacle with them. Most people either run fenderless if they are in a state that allows it or cut the factory fenders for the clearance

Well I've got a lot of crap for having purely cosmetic things on mine. Was just saying

Parks34

I already have bushwacker flat style flares, but looks to me like they would add some still tho. I specifically like the rugged ridge xhd fenders IMG_1279.jpg

Top Bottom