2014 JK oil leak and mystery hose.

Hey all, just noticed a fairly good leak coming from behind the intake (I suspect the damn oil cooler) but while looking around I noticed this hose (just above the 90 degree bend) has come loose. Can anyone tell me where it’s supposed to go? I’ll be digging into it tomorrow but thought I could get a head start on research. IMG_0146.jpg

Ddays

Hooked
Hey all, just noticed a fairly good leak coming from behind the intake (I suspect the damn oil cooler) but while looking around I noticed this hose (just above the 90 degree bend) has come loose. Can anyone tell me where it’s supposed to go? I’ll be digging into it tomorrow but thought I could get a head start on research. View attachment 316408

Is that a breather hose?

WJCO

Meme King
Without being there, hard to say, but looks to me that it goes like this.

IMG_20181211_182034_871.jpg

How bad is the leak? If that's a pcv hose, there is sometimes wet oil vapor in there. It shouldn't be streaming or dripping heavily though.

MacRubi2

If it’s your oil cooler I wouldn’t wait to long to address it 🤨

My experience with the cooler was after having lunch I pull onto my driveway and oil just pored out from under the Jeep. Not just a small puddle that you have I mean it was like someone opened up a quart of oil and started to pour it down the rear of the engine.

I could imagen a fire really quick the way mine went

If it’s your oil cooler I wouldn’t wait to long to address it 🤨

My experience with the cooler was after having lunch I pull onto my driveway and oil just pored out from under the Jeep. Not just a small puddle that you have I mean it was like someone opened up a quart of oil and started to pour it down the rear of the engine.

I could imagen a fire really quick the way mine went

I connected that breather hose back up. I was able to get a small mirror in there and things are fairly dry around the oil cooler. I am going to be doing spark plugs here just after the first of the year so for now, I’ll keep a close eye on things and if it’s not getting worse I’ll be able to see much better with the intake manifold off.

DMF

The first time I found oil in the same area was due to the oil cooler. After that was address and 20k miles later the oil accumulated again in the same area. I thought it was the oil cooler again but this time on mine it was the rear main seal. I was lucky, both time the dealers took care of it under warranty.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Did you ever get the oil cooler replaced? This very thing happened last month on my 14 JKU Sport and once the oil cooler was replaced, no more 2" puddles of oil under the Jeep. It was done under warranty (powertrain warranty) even with 80K on the odometer.

Did you ever get the oil cooler replaced? This very thing happened last month on my 14 JKU Sport and once the oil cooler was replaced, no more 2" puddles of oil under the Jeep. It was done under warranty (powertrain warranty) even with 80K on the odometer.

Yeah it was replaced about a year and a half ago. I found the leak. There was a breather hose on the back of the motor that had come off. Fixed that and no more puddle. That being said at 156,000 miles it’s still going through about three qts between oil changes so we’re going to put in a new motor this year at some point.

jeeeep

Hooked
Yeah it was replaced about a year and a half ago. I found the leak. There was a breather hose on the back of the motor that had come off. Fixed that and no more puddle. That being said at 156,000 miles it’s still going through about three qts between oil changes so we’re going to put in a new motor this year at some point.

3 qts between oil changes?? that seems excessive. :icon_crazy:

my 2010 has 179,000 miles, has a small leak on the upper oil pan seal, but it's still only losing about 1qt between 6000 mile oil changes.

3 qts between oil changes?? that seems excessive. :icon_crazy:

my 2010 has 179,000 miles, has a small leak on the upper oil pan seal, but it's still only losing about 1qt between 6000 mile oil changes.

Yeah I would imagine it’s about time for a swap.

Top Bottom