Lets debate front axle shaft

Looking at new front axle shafts on my 2012 unlimited rubi. Looking at either Yukon, Revolution or RCV. I know the con of binding for the traditional U-Joint is a down fall but other than that what are the pros and cons to U-Joints and CV joints? :thinking:

fiend

Caught the Bug
There are many threads on this. The consensus on this forum seems to be that the RCVs are expensive for what you get, which is a set of shafts that will start to make noise and will get twisted splines that the company won’t fix or replace under warranty.

The preference is for shafts with u joints that have full circle clips. The choice then is between a US made shaft (Revolutions) which cost a bunch more than non US made shafts (Yukon, Ten Factory, etc), but the two otherwise are pretty much the same.

I have the Ten Factory shafts and they’ve held up fine through Moab, the Rubicon, and similar trails.

The other question is, do you really need to replace the stock shafts if they aren’t broken. You may just be spending money unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

ThatJeepGuy

Im sure someone here will have issues with this but...

I have the G2 Placer gold 35 spline shafts in my front 44. They have a great warranty, 1350 joints, made in the USA, full circle clips, and they come with everything you need to install them. I also haven’t bound the joints or rubbed the ears together at all.

I was going to buy the RCV shafts but once I heard they they’re picky about warranty and they start to make noise I changed my mind. I daily my jeep and can’t stand repetitive noises.

From what I have read RCV doesn’t really want you to daily drive their shafts.

Photo is the stock Rubicon shaft vs the 35 spline

IMG_8690.jpg

fiend

Caught the Bug
Those 35 spline shafts look great, but going to those would require the OP, who has a Rubicon, to get a new locker, which would add $1000 in parts and perhaps as much in labor.

There are many threads on this. The consensus on this forum seems to be that the RCVs are expensive for what you get, which is a set of shafts that will start to make noise and will get twisted splines that the company won’t fix or replace under warranty.

The preference is for shafts with u joints that have full circle clips. The choice then is between a US made shaft (Revolutions) which cost a bunch more than non US made shafts (Yukon, Ten Factory, etc), but the two otherwise are pretty much the same.

I have the Ten Factory shafts and they’ve held up fine through Moab, the Rubicon, and similar trails.

The other question is, do you really need to replace the stock shafts if they aren’t broken. You may just be spending money unnecessarily.

Thanks y'all for the info. I thought it had been covered but couldn't come up with anything in my search. I was thinking upgrade and keep the stock as spare but for sure won't be doing RCV now

Ddays

Hooked
I bought into the RCV hype when I bought my axles 4 years ago. Up to now I have had no issues with them performance wise, HOWEVER, once I got roughly 50k miles on them they started with the *snap*crackle*pop* routine and it drives me nuts anytime I'm turning at low speed. The amount of fuckery required to rebuild these things has me thinking of just buying conventional u-joint shafts as replacements and using the RCV's as spares. :crazyeyes:

If I were to do it again, I'd buy conventional and save myself some serious dough. IMHO they are not worth the premium.

I bought into the RCV hype when I bought my axles 4 years ago. Up to now I have had no issues with them performance wise, HOWEVER, once I got roughly 50k miles on them they started with the *snap*crackle*pop* routine and it drives me nuts anytime I'm turning at low speed. The amount of fuckery required to rebuild these things has me thinking of just buying conventional u-joint shafts as replacements and using the RCV's as spares. :crazyeyes:

If I were to do it again, I'd buy conventional and save myself some serious dough. IMHO they are not worth the premium.

Wow....that's a lot of hassle for having paid top dollar. Thanks for the info

zimm

Caught the Bug
I went revolution because they're made in the USA and I already had their rear shafts. Upon getting them, I was pretty bummed they weren't assembled and the outers weren't painted (raw steel). So I had some work to do after spending $900. How much are the G2's? That might be a better option for the money. Looks like they are cadmium plated.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Before I did the PR44 I installed Ten Factory front shafts in mine. Only issue I had was the driver side wouldn’t fit through the steering knuckle. I had to shave a C hair off the yoke on the shaft to get it through. I mentioned that on here and found it was actually a pretty common problem on Ten Factory. Didn’t have any other issues with them besides that.

ThatJeepGuy

I went revolution because they're made in the USA and I already had their rear shafts. Upon getting them, I was pretty bummed they weren't assembled and the outers weren't painted (raw steel). So I had some work to do after spending $900. How much are the G2's? That might be a better option for the money. Looks like they are cadmium plated.

I can’t seem to remember what they cost I believe it was around $800-$900 as well. Fully assembled in the box. Just had to tap the ears lightly with a dead blow hammer to free up the joints a bit. Gold zinc plated if I remember.

jesse3638

Hooked

I'm currently running Revolution rear Chro-Mo shafts. The thing that sold me was the lifetime warranty, even flanges. If I remember correctly this applies to the fronts too and includes the U-joints. I know the best warranty won't get you off the trail and is the one you never have to use. However if you do it's nice to know that they have you covered once you're home.

Ruvicon

So what’s the best u-joints make/part# to replace in a stock front JK Rubicon axles? Does someone make them in solid (non/greasable) with full circle clips?

Top Bottom