Good Basic Tool Kit

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, there really is no "basic" kit that you can buy as most "kits" lack the tools you actually need. Assuming you have a JK, you really need a complete set of metric wrenches and sockets that include sizes such as 18mm, 21mm. Both are sizes that a lot of kits lack. If you have aftermarket components installed, you need to ALSO have SAE wrenches and sockets but there are cross overs metric sizes you can get by with such as 13mm=1/2", 19mm=3/4" and the like.

Been looking for ammo cans to fit the fluids but haven't come across any yet. Anyone have a source?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I found mine at the local military surplus store. If I remember correctly the 50 cal box is high enough to fit the oil containers, but they usually have a surprising number of different sizes, so measure before you go or do what I did and take an oil container in with you. Oh yeah buy more than you think you’ll need. They are good for all kinds of stuff. The normal sports or 4 wheel part type stores sell a plastic copy but it’s not the same thing at all.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

I found mine at the local military surplus store. If I remember correctly the 50 cal box is high enough to fit the oil containers, but they usually have a surprising number of different sizes, so measure before you go or do what I did and take an oil container in with you. Oh yeah buy more than you think you’ll need. They are good for all kinds of stuff. The normal sports or 4 wheel part type stores sell a plastic copy but it’s not the same thing at all.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app
Yeah... We don't have a decent surplus store around here that I'm aware of. I figured that would be the best bet though.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Midwayusa carries most of the sizes of ammo cans. Aimsurplus has them sometimes too but are out of stock right now.

SLO

Midwayusa and most surplus stores I looked at don’t have the 40mm ammo cans in stock which is the size you need to stand most bottles of fluid upright. I bought a couple at Quadratec. They have the standard olive drab as well as black. They are on sale right now for $24.99 which is a little higher than most surplus stores but they are new and if you buy 2, you get free shipping which ends up being cheaper than ordering from most places that charge shipping.

EDIT: I just realized that I said “most” a lot of times.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

BaddestCross

Midwayusa and most surplus stores I looked at don’t have the 40mm ammo cans in stock which is the size you need to stand most bottles of fluid upright. I bought a couple at Quadratec. They have the standard olive drab as well as black. They are on sale right now for $24.99 which is a little higher than most surplus stores but they are new and if you buy 2, you get free shipping which ends up being cheaper than ordering from most places that charge shipping.

EDIT: I just realized that I said “most” a lot of times.

Didn't even think to look at Quadratech.

--

Thank you for admitting this, it’ll save you a lot. What do you actually KNOW how to fix? That will help limit the things you should buy and carry, No point keeping an entire mechanic set in the back taking up half the cargo space if you’re only comfortable with swapping a u joint.

Great advise. Since I have a sport, rear locker, I'm pretty much on the easier hard trails. Swapping a u joint out is beyond me. On those kind of trails I'm running with people who could help. When I run on my own it's more intermediate trails. So I'm thinking something like a 150-200 piece tool kit, plus some of Eddies recommended tools where I could at least limp back to a main road.

I carry this for its small size, This is overkill for you but is pretty complete for starter kits, always coupons out there for under a hundred for it as well. Need a Big hammer too.
IMG_2210.jpg

Top Bottom