Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 4 cylinder conundrum, big discounts.

Fresh Catch

Turbo 4 cylinder conundrum, big discounts.

I have searched and read everything I can concerning the turbo 4 cylinder that I can find on the interwebs and Wayalife and JLwrangler. Most of it has to do with driving on the highway and the expected reputation of a 4 cylinder like in the TJ's. I have been looking at ordering a JL with the 6 cylinder for some time but I have started to find some 4 cylinder JL Rubicon's that dealers have already marked with large discounts ($10k). I have driven the JL with the V6 and love it but I have not had a chance to drive the 4. With a large discount would one be sorry to have the turbo 4 in a Rubicon built similar to Jet Li? You know small lift, 37's, daily driver/weekend warrior type of driving. I am still driving a TJ with the 6 in it but would like to be able to drive freeways close to 80mph. In general are any people here that drive the 4 cylinder unhappy with it so far? I know it is unproven and could be another 3.8 but overall use are you happy? Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by jwalt; 12-16-2018 at 11:10 PM.

I don’t own one, but I have driven one including a Sahara (so non 4.10 gears) dealer lifted in 37s, and even then it was peppy. It doesn’t have the noise of the 3.6 (imo the 3.6 sounds good as hell) but it for sure has just as much, if not more, grunt

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread

Fresh Catch
    Thanks for the input. I have found more threads that discuss this motor in further detail. Seems like a reasonable option.

Are you planning on towing anything? That might be a consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have no first hand experience. But my cousin bought a JLR with the turbo. She is not happy and from what shes told me shes had it in the shop already for turbo issues. If it were me, I would atleast be asking why they have such large discounts on the turbos before diving head first on one... just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-G960W using WAYALIFE mobile app
    '14 JK Sport Anvil 6-Spd 3.73 gearing
    Installed:
    -Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with monotube shocks
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    - Poison Spyder A-Pillar Mounts
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

$10k discounts? Really? That's the first time I've ever heard of that kind of discount on a Wrangler.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    $10k discounts? Really? That's the first time I've ever heard of that kind of discount on a Wrangler.
    I know, Really makes it easier to overlook the four cylinder. At least I can do an LS swap if needed with the money saved

Fresh Catch
    So it was too good to pass up and I bought one, see ya on the trail.
    Last edited by jwalt; 12-20-2018 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwalt View Post
    So it was too good to pass up and I bought one.
    Congrats on the new Jeep and keep us up to date with the details of the turbo 4cyl.

2016 JK Rubicon
    35-12.5 R17 Radar Renegade R7 MT
    2.5 budget boost
    10k Winch/stubby bumper
    Trucklites
    TYT9800 / Pro510XL
    KC1IMA

All I know on the subject is that Eddie and Cindy “ test drove" one in Moab and seemed to be impressed at the performance. That being said, their drive consisted of a dirt road and what seemed to be maybe a mile or two total.

All first year drive trains seem to have issues from manufacturers. Either way you have factory warranty to repair any issues and when that runs out there's always an LS to fix the issue.

Let us know how it turns out. Doesn't seem to be many of the turbo 4's around here.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast