3 stage decarb

I finally took my 2012 JKU in to have the airbag recall performed. The dealership came up with some recommended repairs such as coolant flush, brake fluid flush and a 3 stage decarb.

There was too much background noise from the tech's side so i didn't want to engage him on what a 3 stage decarb service is for... then of course i forgot to ask when i picked up the jeep due to my advanced age and poor memory... lol

The jeep seems to run just fine... no rough idle or any power loss that i can tell in the 106,000 miles that she's been driven... can anyone explain what a 3 stage decarb service would accomplish and is this a needed service?

WJCO

Meme King
I finally took my 2012 JKU in to have the airbag recall performed. The dealership came up with some recommended repairs such as coolant flush, brake fluid flush and a 3 stage decarb.

There was too much background noise from the tech's side so i didn't want to engage him on what a 3 stage decarb service is for... then of course i forgot to ask when i picked up the jeep due to my advanced age and poor memory... lol

The jeep seems to run just fine... no rough idle or any power loss that i can tell in the 106,000 miles that she's been driven... can anyone explain what a 3 stage decarb service would accomplish and is this a needed service?

My guess is that your dealer, along with every other one, uses some kind of 3rd party maintenance kit for something like that. A decarb isn't a bad thing, but the '3 stage' lingo seems gimmicky to me. Honestly, I've seen good results from bg 44k and you can get it at the auto parts store and put it in the tank yourself.

longarmwj

Save yourself the money and do it yourself if you really want to. I’ve always had good luck with sea foam. Especially in the old ragged out maxima I daily drove for a few months. It had almost 300k miles on it, and I did a sea foam treatment and it made it run brand new.

Then the motor exploded. Which wasn’t any fault of the sea foam.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
It's a version of this:

https://youtu.be/inFX5Sd-FpA

I had the BK induction service done at 150k miles and it did make a difference.

Been using BK44 tank additive about every 3 months since :thumb:

I'm guessing the dealer is calling 3 stage so they can justify the dealer price

Bierpower

Hooked
The tank additive cleans the injectors. Then they fog the intake to clean out intake ports and cylinders. Lastly, scrub the throttle flap. The best I've ever heard was a customer come back from a trip with a 4mpg gain. It's not something you "need" to do but it does help a little. Bridgestone required us to check that box based on the mileage of a vehicle (I think it was every 30k)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for all the replies and laughs... i refuse to give up carbs including BEER!!

I forgot about using Seafoam... never heard of BG 44BK product. is one really better than the other in your experience?

Will check throttle flap to see if there is any buildup to clean off.

Top Bottom