Hill Descent Control ??

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Not sure if this has been covered.? Or maybe just a stupid question. Do you guy's use the hill descent control? If so in what situations? (other than going down a hill):thinking:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I haven’t been able to figure out how to use it yet

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I used it. You have to be in 4Lo. It pretty cool I guess. You just put it in 4lo and press the button. You should see a little symbol on the dash. It actually applies the brakes automatically. I was just curious if these rock crawler guys us it.

Last edited:
I used it once as a trial run and hated it. It essentially just performs threshold braking while descending but if you try and brake further, it basically creates an ABS condition and you start getting that irritating ABS pulse in the pedal. I hate it. Haven’t used it since.

jesse3638

Hooked
Don't have it as I have a 2012 manual. 4lo in first gear is too slow in most situations..haha. I don't think it's necessary if you know how to use your transmission, auto or manual.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Guy taught us about in the 101 class. Stood right in front of our vehicles coming down steep hill with loose dirt and some rocks and I came to a full stop with no braking. While it seemed great it also sounds like you’re putting some serious wear on the vehicle. If I remember correctly each gear increases the speed it will allow you to descend by .2 mph but this was many months ago so I could be off a bit. I have a video where you can see and hear it in action but I haven’t figured out how to upload.

Bierpower

Hooked
4lo and under about 3mph to get it to come on. I tried it one time and hated it. It would do great on a consistent slope but, if it leveled off for a few feet and the brakes would release and the Jeep would take off. Then when it dropped again the wheels would lock up and slide about 5 feet before smoothing out. I was much happier with the brake pedal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I tried it out on a long steep hill in Moab last spring, it was kinda neat. I descended that hill without touching my brake pedal.... Haven't used it since

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Thanks for the all the input. Some have tried it, some have not, some don't know how and most really don't see no real need for it. Thanks

longarmwj

I’ve only used it a handful of times. I only use it if I’m going down a super steep super slick or muddy hill. I also used it going down a mountain pass in the recent snow we had. I found that it managed the slippage better then I could. Any other situation I prefer to do it myself though.

Top Bottom