2012 Bad Coolant Leak Rear of Engine

aermotor

Have looked around for this but wasn't able to find much.

I have a pretty bad coolant leak coming from the passenger side rear, upper part of the engine, bell housing, or something around there. I think it's either freeze plug or manifold gasket? It doesn't seem to be heater core as my interior is completely dry and no smell of coolant or signs of it failing.

Wondering if anyone has had this issue before and what they did to solve it. It looks like the job for a shop and lots fo dollars.

2012 JKU w/ 61,000 Miles

UPDATE 1/7/19:

So the shop said my intake manifold was leaking and they replaced it, the gasket and the oil cooler. The leak was dripping down the engine onto the rear of the engine making it seem like it was from there when it was in fact up much higher. I've read a couple people with this same issue. Really annoying and expensive fix for only 60K miles on the Jeep.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:

jorgelrod

Hooked
I had a similar experience on my 14 while driving and the car dumped out all the coolant. There seems to be some plug back there my jeep blew while I was driving and I had to have the jeep towed to the dealership because any coolant or water I tried to put in it just drained out, this was a while back.

Angry Aussie

I have a 2012 with almost the same amount of miles as well and my coolant has been slowly leaking out for awhile but I can’t find where it’s coming from. It’s heading in the shop next week and I’ll let you know what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aermotor

I had a similar experience on my 14 while driving and the car dumped out all the coolant. There seems to be some plug back there my jeep blew while I was driving and I had to have the jeep towed to the dealership because any coolant or water I tried to put in it just drained out, this was a while back.

What did the dealer do to fix it?

I have a 2012 with almost the same amount of miles as well and my coolant has been slowly leaking out for awhile but I can’t find where it’s coming from. It’s heading in the shop next week and I’ll let you know what they say.

Sounds good, I think I'm dropping mine off at my shop next week while I'm out of town.

jorgelrod

Hooked
What did the dealer do to fix it?

Sounds good, I think I'm dropping mine off at my shop next week while I'm out of town.

It was a while back and still under warranty at the time. I went back and talked to the tech who worked on it (the dealer was a customer of the company I worked for at the time so I could roam around the shop) and he told me that there is some sort of plastic seal at the back of the engine and that that had broken. I had my jeep overheat one day while wheeling because the radiator fins got clogged with mud and his best guess was that the plastic became a bit brittle and over time just failed.

aermotor

UPDATE:

So the shop said my intake manifold was leaking and they replaced it, the gasket and the oil cooler. The leak was dripping down the engine onto the rear of the engine making it seem like it was from there when it was in fact up much higher. I've read a couple people with this same issue. Really annoying and expensive fix for only 60K miles on the Jeep.

Angry Aussie

UPDATE:

Mine was virtually the same thing, oil cooler was leaking and I replaced my radiator with a mishimoto. I didn’t have to replace the radiator I did that my own. But pricey fix and issue for less than 60k Miles. But all fixed now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom