Oil leak that doesn't leak?/Oil Cooler Housing shot?

naysjp

Caught the Bug
I have a 2014 JKU and read the threads of the oil cooler housing that craps out. I have a habit of looking under my Jeep before I get in and today, I was parked on an incline and noticed oil an oil spot about 2 inches. I got home, climbed under the Jeep with a rag and degreaser and cleaned off oil from the crossmember, bell housing and oil pan. I wanted the area clean so that I could see where the leak came from. I laid under the Jeep for 35 minutes and not one drop! Three hours later, I went out with a flashlight and no drops. This is a horrible time to try to take it to the dealership to see if it will be covered. Yeah, there are 78,000 miles on the Jeep but ever single oil change with the exception of one has been at the same dealership. I am sure they will say "it's out of warranty", but I am taking it in because the Jeep was new when I purchased it and should not be leaking like that after 4 years. I have one of the oil changes where I was told the front shock was leaking. I just had new shocks put on when I got the lift put on so I know the shock was not leaking. This is the same dealership who also told me I needed new front brakes but my brake shop told me I had 80% left. Every single oil change(except one) has been with this dealership since I purchased the Jeep and I have each receipt. I'm guessing my 14 has the dreaded oil cooler gone south.

SDG

Caught the Bug
I have a '14 and had that leak about 6 months ago. I think they are on revision 5 of 6 of that part from what I recall so they know it's a shit part if they had to revise it that many times to get it right.

Mine only leaked 1x... on a steep incline. Oil ran down from the top of the trans all the way around to the crossmember. I would suggest taking it to a different dealer if you think those guys are sketchy. I am in north county coastal san diego, and unfortunately I cant reccomend a good dealer near me.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
@SDG-Did you get the leak fixed? I've taken the Jeep there 12 times for oil changes since I've had it for 4 yrs. That is why I want to take it back to them since they did all the oil changes except the last one. That's 12 oil changes and they didn't find the leak then? It's close in case they don't provide a rental and I have to lyft. Worst time for this to happen. I start a new job but not til mid January. Pretty stressed right now.

Last edited:

SDG

Caught the Bug
Yes, fixed no questions asked. Since you had all oil changes do e there I would def take it back. I did my own oil cha ges, it's a shitty part so prob not their fault, but is their fault Haha. I would be suprise6if they didnt fix it free no questions asked.

The good news at least in my case is it was a super slow leak, which is why I assume it only did it 1x. So if you have issues I do t think you need to stress about it ASAP.

@SDG-Did you get the leak fixed? I've taken the Jeep there 12 times for oil changes since I've had it for 4 yrs. That is why I want to take it back to them since they did all the oil changes except the last one. That's 12 oil changes and they didn't find the leak then? It's close in case they don't provide a rental and I have to lyft. Worst time for this to happen. I start a new job but not til mid January. Pretty stressed right now.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
The dealership called and it is the oil filter housing that is leaking AND is all covered by the powertrain warranty. Waiting for a shuttle to take me to the rental agency now. Way to birddog that on this forum. Thanks for the input everyone.

WJCO

Meme King
The dealership called and it is the oil filter housing that is leaking AND is all covered by the powertrain warranty. Waiting for a shuttle to take me to the rental agency now. Way to birddog that on this forum. Thanks for the input everyone.

Good to hear they found the issue and are fixing it under warranty.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Good to hear they found the issue and are fixing it under warranty.

Tell me about it. I was elated to find out it would be covered. The only thing that stresses me out now is that Chrysler will only give you a Chrysler model for a rental and the only thing available was a Dodge Challenger. I don't do sports cars.

Top Bottom