Penetrating Oil

SLO

I am seriously procrastinating this morning and coming up with everything I should do rather than do what I need to do. I was working on putting together a fluids kit after receiving my 30mm ammo can and decided to research penetrating oil. I have always used WD-40 but I have heard really good things about Kroil. I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

Interesting that Liquid Wrench did so much better. But, then I saw this trick in the comments. "Tighten the bolt slightly. 1/8 turn or so. It breaks the rust and does not start the removal of the bolt with pushing the rust into the threads." Now I need to go find some rusty bolts to try it on, further delaying what I need to do.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL - my luck has typically been that I just break the damn things. That being said, IF they don't break, I've had good luck with PB Blaster.

SLO

Did you guys watch the review by chance? Just curious if any of you would change products based on this or do you think 10 different tests would yield different results?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The best penetrating liquid I use at work daily to break nuts loose on exhausts and stuff is a torch ;)

I am seriously procrastinating this morning and coming up with everything I should do rather than do what I need to do. I was working on putting together a fluids kit after receiving my 30mm ammo can and decided to research penetrating oil. I have always used WD-40 but I have heard really good things about Kroil. I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUEob2oAKVs

Interesting that Liquid Wrench did so much better. But, then I saw this trick in the comments. "Tighten the bolt slightly. 1/8 turn or so. It breaks the rust and does not start the removal of the bolt with pushing the rust into the threads." Now I need to go find some rusty bolts to try it on, further delaying what I need to do.

Going back and forth helps a lot it’s true. But truly rusted and seized are still likely to snap.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

So, I watched the video... WD40 isn't really a penetrating oil, so I wasn't surprised that it was so low. It's great for dissolving surface rust which is what I use it for. I never heard of PB Blaster before getting into Jeeps, so I tried it. It works well but I hate the fucking smell. 🤣

I haven't even thought of Liquid Wrench for years... My grandpa always had a can of it in his toolbox, but it wasn't penetrating oil. I'll find a bottle of it next time I need some and give it a try.

Heat always works if it's an option. 👍

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

98XJ06LJ

I've always referred to kroil as the good stuff. Every Machinist I know uses it.

PB blaster works really well and is easier to find.

I've been wanting to try some of WD-40's new products that are apparently specialized fluids for specific applications but can't find them in any of the stores. I see commercials on some of the car shows but they don't say where to buy them. Everyone just carries the regular old WD-40.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Best stuff out there if you can find it is Yield. Kroil is great too.

Maybe cause I can’t get them for free anymore but I can’t stomach paying 10-20 bucks a can on penetrating oil. ATF and kerosene is cheap and it’s most likely in everyone’s garage already. Mix 50/50 and your better off than most marketed products for a lot less.

Top Bottom