Nitto Mud Grapplers

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Depends on the jeep and the tire. What size? I got around 35-40 on mine but had a couple flats that got mixed in the rotation which helped.

That was a 35x12.5.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I haven’t run the Mud grapplers but I did run the Trail grapplers before making the jump to 37’s and I got about 35k before I made the switch to coopers. They still had half the tread on them but did start developing a bit of a pull. Not sure if the Mud grapplers have that same issue. By comparison my STT pros have just over 30k on them and have more than half their tread left. Granted I rotate them as a set of 5 every oil change.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What OverlanderJK said. I ran a set of 40x15.50s and they wore very nicely. I think I had about 30k on mine when I swapped them out and they still had a lot of good tread.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I haven’t run the Mud grapplers but I did run the Trail grapplers before making the jump to 37’s and I got about 35k before I made the switch to coopers. They still had half the tread on them but did start developing a bit of a pull. Not sure if the Mud grapplers have that same issue. By comparison my STT pros have just over 30k on them and have more than half their tread left. Granted I rotate them as a set of 5 every oil change.

Mud grapplers don’t have a pull and they don’t last as long as the trail grapplers.

GCM 2

They are an exceptional offroad tire, it’s become one of my all time favorites. On road manners are surprisingly very good (I don’t know about snow packed streets though?), however the tire is obnoxiously loud on the street and highway.....and even worse if you are not dedicated to rotating them every 3k-5k miles. I learned from a close friend who is sponsored by Nitto to run them with much higher air pressure on the street to get more miles out of them (I run high 30’s to 40 psi). I have over 50,000 miles on this set, with a lot of room left for wear on them. Also, the Mud Grappler-ATX/KMC Slab wheel combo I run has never had one wheel weight needed to balance these 40’s. Only a slight vibration at/above 80mph when one of the tires is up front. As soon as I rotate them to the rear the minor vibration disappears.

IMG_2155.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

They are an exceptional offroad tire, it’s become one of my all time favorites. On road manners are surprisingly very good (I don’t know about snow packed streets though?), however the tire is obnoxiously loud on the street and highway.....and even worse if you are not dedicated to rotating them every 3k-5k miles. I learned from a close friend who is sponsored by Nitto to run them with much higher air pressure on the street to get more miles out of them (I run high 30’s to 40 psi). I have over 50,000 miles on this set, with a lot of room left for wear on them. Also, the Mud Grappler-ATX/KMC Slab wheel combo I run has never had one wheel weight needed to balance these 40’s. Only a slight vibration at/above 80mph when one of the tires is up front. As soon as I rotate them to the rear the minor vibration disappears.

View attachment 317422

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Would this be the same if you were discussing trail graps? The pressures and no weights

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Would you guys run the mud graps again if they were quieter? That seems to be the only thing I have heard negative about them. I am really tempted to run them.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Would you guys run the mud graps again if they were quieter? That seems to be the only thing I have heard negative about them. I am really tempted to run them.

The noise never really bothered me. The one time it did in the few years I had them is when I drove from PA to Moab and back. By the end of the trip they were getting on my nerves. I was good by the next day lol.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Noise never bothered me. I always have my windows down anyway even on the highway. I stepped up to 37’s and got a set of trail grapplers and that’s the other reason I switched. I keep going back and forth on buying them in 40’s.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Noise never bothered me. I always have my windows down anyway even on the highway. I stepped up to 37’s and got a set of trail grapplers and that’s the other reason I switched. I keep going back and forth on buying them in 40’s.

Had trail graps in 37 and now Coops in 40 but keep thinking about the mud graps and trying those next.

Top Bottom